Green tea mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W7JRR

Reaction score
New to the forums, and relatively new to meads I've only done 3 with a 4th about to finish. My wife was asking about making a green tea or Matcha mead. I'm sure it can be done, but not sure which way would be prefered, or if there is anything I should watch out for.

On one hand I could just add the matcha powder to the fermenter. I'm thinking 2-4 ounces in a 1 gallon batch.

The other idea would be to make a relatively strong green tea, and use that in place of the water.

FOr either one I will be using 2.5 pounds of Mesquite honey and Lalvin D47

New to the forums, and relatively new to meads I've only done 3 with a 4th about to finish. My wife was asking about making a green tea or Matcha mead. I'm sure it can be done, but not sure which way would be prefered, or if there is anything I should watch out for.

On one hand I could just add the matcha powder to the fermenter. I'm thinking 2-4 ounces in a 1 gallon batch.

The other idea would be to make a relatively strong green tea, and use that in place of the water.

FOr either one I will be using 2.5 pounds of Mesquite honey and Lalvin D47
I haven't done this either, but it's on the list. I was thinking of adding matcha powder in the primary and then racking on top of some lactose and a vanilla bean and back sweetening with concentrated brewed green tea/honey.

The vanilla might be an interesting addition. I thought a bit about adding either mint or lemongrass as a possibility.

Did the vanilla, absolutely evil undrinkable crap. Added a healthy amount of sweet orange peel to see if it can be saved, but I don’t hold out much hope for what dubbed The Swamp Thing.

Matcha would likely do well dry, probably as a stand-alone. Sweet if adding any more dry tasting components(like vanilla). If it is anything like pairing herbs, then you want something light to pair with a green tea. Both mint and lemongrass would pair well, as would Jasmine.

Back