Green or Soapy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstuckrn

Reaction score
My first batch has been bottled 11 Days and I had to taste it, as part of the learning process of coarse. My findings were- it looked like beer, and smelled like beer, I did hear the sound of carbonation when i popped the top but the head of the beer was barely noticeable but it was there when poured into a glass and then the taste. After reading How to Brew and rereading the section on smell and flavor i'm just not sure if it was a little soapy or just green.

My questions to anyone with more experience are
1. Should carbonation be complete by now and does it sound like i have adequate carbonation now.
2. Is my beer potentially green and needs a couple more weeks,
3. Is a soapy flavor if present overwhelming or just suttle.

I would give it more time. I usually carb for 3 weeks, then cellar after that. Every 4 or 5 days, I pop a brew in the fridge for a couple days and drink it to taste the progression. When I think it's time, I'll throw a bunch in the fridge and enjoy: it only continues to get better after that!
So no I don't think the carbonation is complete yet and I'm almost certain the beer is still green. The soapy flavor you are noticing will hopefully mellow or disappear in a couple more weeks. I'd wait it out and if you're still not satisfied, come back for advice.
Good luck and enjoy the beer when it's ready!

At 11 days, its pretty green. Usually when I bottle, I let it carb for about 3 weeks and then condition another week or two...and that's after its been fermenting for 4 weeks.

Thanks, i had it in the primary 2 weeks and secondary one week, since its my first batch I wanted to get a feel for the progression.

Back