Green mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished my newest mead, a green spicy pear mead.

1.5 litre of fresh pear juice
4 kg honey
20 grams galaxy hop
500 grams roculla (the salad)
Wlp410
5 green walnuts

The walnuts was cut into 1/4 and was put into some vodka for day, so the vodka had a dark green colour.
An yeast starter was made with a litre of water with a OG on 1030

On brewing day I pressed the pears, bought the pear juice to boil, added 10 grams of the hops for five minutes and the last 10 grams for a minute.

Bought the vodka to the boiling point for a couple of minutes.

Dissolved the honey in COLD water (have read something about it will keep the honey tast better if it not warmed that much up)

Added the salad, pear, and walnut-essenes and filled up with water to 13 litre, checked the temperature (just to be sure) and the yeast.

Got a OG on 1096

Thinking let it stand for a week and the remove the salat.

Was fermenting well after a couple of hours and now standing in a room with 22 degrees Celsius.

Do it sound crazy?

It's not that green, but maybe i will add some walnuts for a day or two more

Have a photo I can post tomorrow

Yea it sounds crazy! Hahaha. But that is all ok.

Here are some pics of my last green mead. It was cucumber!

48869d1329711276-cool-cucumber-mead-cucumber-mead-pre-honey.jpg

48870d1329711276-cool-cucumber-mead-cucumber-mead-x-after-honey.jpg

56297d1334006607-cool-cucumber-mead-cucumber-mead-x-after-honey-day-50.jpg

It seems like fermentation just bleaches the color right out. I still have a bottle of the stuff and it is a clear light amber color.

Wow!! That's a green mead!! How did it turn out?

DSC_0011.jpg

Not that green yet but I hope it will turn colour over time, but I don't think it will that green like yours,

Oh god cucumber was not meant to be turned into mead. It was terrible! But a laugh at the experiences I had with it.

Back