greedy with you beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is so funny. I am only one 5 Gal. bottled brew in to the hobby, and I have flashes of many of these circumstances. Needless to say, my entire first batch is nearly gone (5 Bottles left) But it has been a worthy experience seeing as everyone has given me positive feedback so far and it is very encouraging. The Girlfriend isn't afraid to share either. :D

One friend has already donated his kegerator to me (working w/ a CO2 canister, but with a busted regulator) so hes definitely gonna be involved with the first draw off of that bad boy. But, that donation has me looking for regulators and a used crony keg every day since then. Oh well, so is life..

The last five (maybe four ;)) beers will be going with me to the monthly local beer brewers meeting this Friday. Hopefully, they give me some helpful critiquing and I can sample some of their home brewed goodness. :mug:

Is it just me or is it irritating when people just expect you to give them your beer? I was asked for some beer by a friend a while back. This beer was for someone else as a birthday gift. NO PROBLEM, NOW this same friend informs me she needs some wine for another friend of hers! I had a buddy come up the other night and rather than ask, he says ' YOU'RE GONNA SEND SOME OF THAT BEER HOME WITH ME" ( he went home empty handed).. Am I the only one who gets a little stingy with their beer? As I posted elsewhere my major fun with the hobby is sharing beer with people and seeing them enjoy it, but for some reason it eats me when people just expect it.

Anyone who asks you to supply a Birthday Gift for him to give someone else is Rude! You know, like asking you to go to the Store and Buy them any other kind of Gift, to give.
I guess I'm more out-spoken than you are. There are simple Rules of Courtesy, that everyone ought to know. If you let people Impose on you they will keep doing it. I do not allow it.

most of my friends are not heavy drinkers. I recently turned a couple of friends onto craft beer (they are major wine drinkers), and when they learned that i had started to brew they got pretty excited about it. They wanted to come over and watch/help brew. The next thing i knew they bought me 2 cases of new empty bottles, a bunch of used brew equipment they found at a garage sale, and even built me an immersion chiller!

Those are the kind of friends you keep!

+1,000,000

As for acquaintances, if they bring the empty bottle back I will give them more. If not, I don't give more. It's the least they can do for a free beer(s).

I have found that giving it away helps clear inventory. I don't drink it quick enough. I used to be very stingy with it but my beer stockpiled and I had no more room lol. Now I'm more free.

I do this w/ my friends/acquaintances who like my beer; I refer to it as my "return the empty, get a full one back" policy. Helps to cut down on bottle attrition and lets me brew more frequently. Sometimes they even get a choice if I have more than one brew on hand.:rockin:

I brew so much beer I cant keep up so i give a lot away but not just to anybody. Only to people who like beer. I find out what kink they like and give them a sample of what I think they might like to appreciate my beer.

People who i really like and who really like my beer will get a lot more beer but never enough to get drunk just to appreciate the different beers I have created. I avoid giving out beers to people who tell me heffes or BMC are their favorite or just want to get drunk, why waste my precious gift on them unless they are really cool people. Also when I go over to visit someone on a weekend or for dinner or for a party I bring myself some beers with some extras for the host. My wife gave some to a coworker on his birthday 2 months ago and when we were at a party at his house I found them still in the fridge. As a bud light swiller I think my barley wine may be wasted on him anyways.

Giving away single beers judiciously gets the right people to appreciate the effort and keeps the leaches from thinking you are a source of free beer for drunks. I also have received a bunch of home raised beef as a return gift to someone I have given numerous homebrews to, FTW.

ihave decided to pay my web and design guy in beer. and he will accept too.

I keg everything, so if they want beer, they have to come and get it...this reduced my "6 pack giveaways" to zero...If my friends want to come over for a couple cold ones....well thats why we brew...:)

I do have a few cases of 1L ez-caps for bringing beer places, but those only go to close friends and they return the bottles...

Time for some new friends.

If the people in question are really friends -and I don't mean acquaintances- then it is worthwhile to confront the issue and educate them as to what is going on. There is obviously a point at which people are taking advantage of ones' generosity, but the assumption here is that it's somehow being done out of malice. I propose that most of these cases are likely to be simple ignorance.

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

-Napoleon Bonaparte

I give 20oz bottles away to friends occasionally, but if anyone wants any more than that they're expected to pay for a batch of ingredients. If they come over and help me brew so I can teach them how to do it they get the whole thing minus a few bottles for my trouble. If they want ME to brew it for them I keep 1/2 the batch.

I used to have a standing arrangement with neighbors for that. I put them on the honor system but my little jar never quite added up to what it was supposed to so now I have the arrangement above.

That is why you bottle a handful of 12 ouncers and a bunch of 22s.

22 ouncers are for me, the 12 ouncers can be divided amongst the rift raft

after I bottled my first stout last week I gave my father in law one... he said WOW tastes just like guiness if not BETTER! I ended up giving him a case of 24, he was very happy! I am keeping a 12 pack for myself and giving my dad the other case. They appreciate the gift very much and no all the hard work and time I put into making such a great beer from home. Ha my father in law even washed my bottles for my and is holding onto them till next time I see him. I haven't run into a problem with people "expecting beer"... but he did mention after he tasted it "you can brew this for me ANYTIME" lol.

after I bottled my first stout last week I gave my father in law one... he said WOW tastes just like guiness if not BETTER! I ended up giving him a case of 24, he was very happy! I am keeping a 12 pack for myself and giving my dad the other case. They appreciate the gift very much and no all the hard work and time I put into making such a great beer from home. Ha my father in law even washed my bottles for my and is holding onto them till next time I see him. I haven't run into a problem with people "expecting beer"... but he did mention after he tasted it "you can brew this for me ANYTIME" lol.

Hmm... maybe I ought to surprise my father-in-law to be. Start the whole marriage thing out on the right foot. :)

I give out my beers all the time. About 1/4 to 1/3 is given away. In return I get beer from my fellow brewers. From non-brewers I get fresh fruits and veggies, venison, homemade jellies and such things. I think it's a fair trade. Plus they all save their bottles for me so I never have to buy any beer or wine bottles.
Of course I don't give out the beer to get stuff back. That's just what friends do.

I am particularly greedy actually.

First, I don't waste good homebrew on people who I know won't fully appreciate it. I am not interested in the least in "converting" people. I could careless what they like or enjoy and don't have any aspirations about changing their tastes.

Second, I have learned that most people will take advantage of freebies whenever they can. I read this entire thread and am shocked at what some of you have dealt with.

Wife giving away your homebrew? No offense, but my wife wouldn't even think of that without asking me (and for the most part, already knows my answer). Friends asking for quantity? I mean, my friends definitely ask for a beer here and there, but I have never had anyone ask to leave my house with anything more than I offered. That says a lot about the person... as a person! Who the hell asks for anything in that manner?

Last weekend, we threw a large pig roast at my cousin's house. I do this every year and I buy the pig (he has the backyard). I was going to bring a keg this year, and brewed an apple wheat beer in anticipation. I changed my mind after brewing it because I knew that I was wasting a keg on people who would end up using it for the inevitable drinking games we end up playing.

Downer? Maybe, but I work too hard at this to waste it on anybody.

I have friends in other states that don't just want my beer, but they want to visit the lovely state of Colorado, either during camping or ski season, stay at my house, AND have as much free booze they can get their hands on. Ug...

I brewed yesterday.. five hours give or take from start to cleaned up. I guess that is why I get pissed over the "FREE BEER" attitude.... On the other end of the spectrum, I gave a six pack to a friend recently. we have a mutual friend that owns a bar and I sometimes will take a six or twelve of homebrew and put in his cooler and drink my own beer while I am there. Anyway I put a six pack of a porter back in the cooler for my buddy and he keeps thanking me over and over. I know he appreciated it. SO next time I bottle some dark beer he will get another six or twelve.

My friends are getting a little spoiled. Everytime they come over I cook them a homecooked meal and serve them homebrew. I'm not sure they appreciate how much work and not to mention money that takes. One of my buddies came over the other day and we went to pick up some brew because I was running low and he didn't even offer to buy it. I've supplied the beer the last 5 or 6 times we've drank and he can't buy me a four-pack of Taddy Porter? Not to mention this guy has a trustfund and I have to work for my money. Kinda pissed me off.

Is it just me or is it irritating when people just expect you to give them your beer? I was asked for some beer by a friend a while back. This beer was for someone else as a birthday gift. NO PROBLEM, NOW this same friend informs me she needs some wine for another friend of hers! I had a buddy come up the other night and rather than ask, he says ' YOU'RE GONNA SEND SOME OF THAT BEER HOME WITH ME" ( he went home empty handed).. Am I the only one who gets a little stingy with their beer? As I posted elsewhere my major fun with the hobby is sharing beer with people and seeing them enjoy it, but for some reason it eats me when people just expect it.

Well, it's good to share of what you have but if you see that people are taking advantage of your generosity then that's not good. I would definitely have done the same thing. :eek:

... Not to mention this guy has a trustfund and I have to work for my money...

:off:

If I accidentally get rich and/or have kids, they won't get SHIZNIT from me without earning it. No offense to trust fund kiddies on here, but if you got everything you ever had b/c your PARENTS knew how to work their asses off, how are you supposed to ever learn to appreciate anything?

If I find out a friend has a trust fund, that's *almost* grounds to no longer be friends. It would be a warning signal, regardless.

I give away my beer and let people drink from my kegs but it has to be to a limit. One of my friends came over a few weeks ago and we killed 1/2 keg together in a few hours ;)

I think I will ask those that are interested in my beer & homebrewing to buy a recipe kit and help me brew. I will also get the person involved in cleaning the bottles and bottling. At the end of all this the person can take 1 case with them.

I have been brewing for just over a year and have probably given away more than 1/2 of what I have made to friends and coworkers. Many of these people have been very generous with their time to help me and the wife move two weeks prior to our first baby being born. I viewed my giving away beer as a pay it forward type of thing but now I can certainly see other viewpoints on expectations of beer gifts. Now that I have gotten into all-grain brewing I have the costs of beer down to 50-75 cents per bottle but the time to get this made can really add up just as much as the cost of imporving your equipment.

Bottom Line: "This makes me really appreciate all of the advice and feedback I have gotten from other members on this forum."

I haven't run into this issue yet, but I plan on asking for a couple bucks in donations for future beers. Right now I see my beer as a way to becoming the popular guy in an apartment complex filled with single college girls. :)

Too bad ASU is losing its reputation as a den debauchery... I think they just need more beer... call me up if you need any help getting them back on track!

I love giving my beer to people. Not just my homebrew, but any commercial beers I have as well. On the 4th, I had a $14 375mL bottle of RR consecration and gave most of it away to people at our party, and had just a bit left for myself. I really just want other people to be able to feel the same way I do about beer and experience it how I do.

My last 2 batches (2 gallon batches - a special bitter and an IPA) each netted about 18 bottles a piece. I may have drank about 6-8 total out of the 36, and the IPA was really tasty. I love hearing that people enjoy my beer and I'm always up for suggestions (which is odd, because I don't take criticism well in any other aspect of my life).

None of the people I give my beer to are greedy about it, but I can understand how it would anger me if they were.

I've been lucky so far. My 2 best friends ALWAYS bring at least a sixer of some very good micro brew when they come visit. They drink what they want from the beer fridge and even hint at what they think I should make next and teh sixer is left in the fridge for me to enjoy at my leisure.

Parties seem to be a different story but I don't mind.

I have a couple of friends that I often give beer. They also sometimes 'pay' me to brew a batch for them. More correctly they pay for everything and I brew it. I usually keep a 6-pack for 'quality control.' It comes out even as far as I'm concerned.

I've promised away most of my first batch already, 2 more weeks left to carb. Sent 12-12oz to my cousins out of state(trying to get them into brewing too) and set 12-22oz bottles aside for myself. The other 16 12oz are going to friends from work with the understanding that the first ones free, but they'll need to donate(labor, food, bottles, something) if they want more.

Wierd...I've got friends already offering to buy me ingredients! Next week a buddy is bringing over a kit and we're gonna brew it up for him. We'll no doubt kill several brews in the process.

He's thinking of getting into homebrewing. He really wants to build a still. But he's afraid of the whole prison thing... Homebrewing may be his alternative. LOL

I usually keep a 6-pack for 'quality control.' It comes out even as far as I'm concerned.

No way in hell I would spend 6 hours one day, and at least an hour another day two weeks later, just for a six pack and the smiles of my friends. I guess I'm an a-hole.

Remember the whole "Give a man a fish..." thing? They are taking advantage.

No way in hell I would spend 6 hours one day, and at least an hour another day two weeks later, just for a six pack and the smiles of my friends. I guess I'm an a-hole.

Remember the whole "Give a man a fish..." thing? They are taking advantage.

I made a batch of banana wine for a buddy. he owns the bar where I get all of my bottles from PLUS whatever I eat or drink ( best wings I have ever had and the pizza is kick ass PLUS he lets me bring my own beer and drink it if I want to) is half price. he payed for the ingredients and when I bottled it yesterday he got annoyed that I wouldn't keep half for myself. THATS THE KIND OF PEOPLE I ENJOY SHARING WITH!

I give 20oz bottles away to friends occasionally, but if anyone wants any more than that they're expected to pay for a batch of ingredients. If they come over and help me brew so I can teach them how to do it they get the whole thing minus a few bottles for my trouble. If they want ME to brew it for them I keep 1/2 the batch.

I used to have a standing arrangement with neighbors for that. I put them on the honor system but my little jar never quite added up to what it was supposed to so now I have the arrangement above.

Word. I do the same thing with teaching. My new policy is that I don't touch anything during the process, however, unless I absolutely have to demonstrate something or it's a two-man job. It might take more time, but otherwise your friend/student doesn't learn anything.

Generally I hand out 22s to everyone I know on birthdays, holidays, or any special occasion. I've got no prob donating a keg of cider or extract brew for a party every so often. I'd like it if people threw me some money, but I don't care if they don't, since I don't do this often enough to worry about it.

I like to share with those that I know appreciate it. Hell I'll give half a batch away to someone who really shows thanks and does not take it for granted.

My wife and I have had a woman and her husband (friends of my wife) over to our house before and they drink like fish. Never a thank you or anything for consuming a sh1tload of beer off my taps. This happened twice.

Then one day the woman says to my wife (at work): "When are we coming over for free beer again?"

FREE BEER? WTF? After hearing that I laid down the law and declared that my beer will no longer be available to this couple ever. We haven't had them over since.

This lady is amazing.

Even in really primitive cultures, places where fire is "advanced technology", people know better. They will tell you that the woman should have said, "We will cook a pig. You must come to our hut and eat the pig with us."

The people who are horrified about "moral decay" would probably not choose this as an example, but this is exactly what they are referring to.

This lady is amazing.

Even in really primitive cultures, places where fire is "advanced technology", people know better. They will tell you that the woman should have said, "We will cook a pig. You must come to our hut and eat the pig with us."

The people who are horrified about "moral decay" would probably not choose this as an example, but this is exactly what they are referring to.

Not so much what I would describe as "moral decay" as a breakdown in social conventions, in this case reciprocity. Social cement or "glue" is formed in a number of ways, but the form of exchange termed reciprocity is one of the most basic, and found in a myriad of forms.

Look up the potlatch feasts of the tribes of the Northwest coast of North America, and the custom of Japanese upon any occasion to bring gifts to someone, perhaps bento (prepared boxes of food) or fruit. For business travelers, this has been elevated to an online industry, whereby a person on a business trip can order gifts (and from the region they visited) to be delivered when they return from the trip for them to distribute to coworkers.

In Japan, this reciprocal giving has been elevated by tradition to giri, which would roughly translate as "social obligations." At worst, and in a curious parallel to the Kwakiutl and other Indian tribes, it becomes a contest whereby the recipient must always reciprocate with a better and more expensive gift. In the Kwakiutl potlatches, things could spiral out of control and end in murder or even warfare.

Naturally, the marriage customs of many cultures are nothing more than a form of reciprocity, and even the Kula Ring trade of some Pacific Islands is just a form of delayed reciprocity.

I had a friend ask me for 2 6 packs of my dry stout for his superbowl party.I told him no problem and come get them when he was ready for them, I was working when he came and my wife let him take all 3 cases i had bottled up:mad:
On top of that my dry/irish stout is only 2.8abv but has a good taste, I like it for a session beer. My old friend bitched it took to much of the beer to get him and his buddies drunk
He never got **** again and i started useing kegs after that.

One of the people I was complaining about JUST contacted me asking if I had any plum wine since she had a friend who really likes it. I told her to tell em it is plums...water.. sugar ..yeast.

This is my hobby. I choose to brew and I'll share from time to time. But if someone wants a large amount, then pony up!

Having just finished my first batch ever, which turned out well I might add, I have been planning to give some out to some co-workers and friends...mainly because they thought there was no way I could make beer at home and was crazy to try. One co-worker insisted that they get at least 5 bottles, for they deserved it. That being said, I think this person shall be getting one of the bottles that are half filled that I was going to be used as a test bottle. 5 bottles...psh, yeah right.

Any of my friends that insist on getting my beer get the privilege of me dragging my feet to get it to them so long I've already drank it all, and when they complain I hand them the recipe.

Back