Greedy Us, the Carboy is Oozing Apple Sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfrog5

Reaction score
2nd batch of apfelwein, the 6.5 gal carboy was free, so I figured, why make only 5 gallons? Last time, we did 5 gal in a 5 gal carboy with Nottingham and there was just a tiny layer of tiny bubbles in clear/filtered Martinelli's juice.

This time, we have 100% fresh pressed juice (less than clear), are doing Premier Cuvee yeast (2 packets + nutrients), and somewhat accidentally filled it up to about 7 gallons (just where the neck really starts to constrict).

Some hardcore violent apple sludge is steadily making a mess of my kitchen. First the airlock, now an over sized carboy cap w/ blowoff that I did my best to fit tight (sludge is oozing from under the cap). This stuff is THICK and MESSY, like crude oil with a mild apple aroma.

It'll be ok, hopefully worth the extra hassle for a bit more of this delicious product.

Aaron

Hehe, is how it goes. I little foam lower in the carboy means more foam if you go further up the neck with the smaller surface area. Glad that it is still all going to be good!

Thats why they make 8 gallon plastic buckets..............So you can do 7 gallon batches and still have room for fermentation! Right now you run the risk of loosing a lot of your yeast to your mess on the floor. I was trying to do 6.5gal batches in a 7gal carboy, but I got tired of blowing off a lot of my beer so I got a couple of 8 gallon buckets. Now I use my 7gal carboys as secondaries after the fermentation has quieted down.

So, I finally bit the bullet. Armed with some sanitized butter knives, spoons, paper towels and an airlock, I dove in to clean up the lava flows of apple poop that had since crustified all over my carboy's overshirt.

While there was far less ooze in the neck of the carboy than I expected (thus the silverware to scoop out god knows what), the combination of dry crusty apple goodness, and a moist, sticky, SMEARY center still made for a gross and messy job.

The apfelwein is on its merry way, with a lot of happy tiny bubbles (like last time, finally).

Back