Greater New Orleans Visitor's Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody that lives in NOLA want to potentially grab a couple bottles of house of the rising for me?
Is anybody going for tonight's release of Piety?

I will be driving through the area Monday, but I doubt they'll have any House of the Rising left after tonight... Please PM me if you're so kind.

Last edited:
Anybody that lives in NOLA want to potentially grab a couple bottles of house of the rising for me?
Is anybody going for tonight's release of Piety?

I will be driving through the area Monday, but I doubt they'll have any House of the Rising left after tonight... Please PM me if you're so kind.

House of the Rising has been on store shelves, probably still is by my house. I can check. I'm not planning on heading to the brewery tonight, but it was released there a few weeks back.

House of the Rising has been on store shelves, probably still is by my house. I can check. I'm not planning on heading to the brewery tonight, but it was released there a few weeks back.
Okay so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to find when I'm around. Thanks!

Just got back from your fine city, our AirBnB was directly across the street from Avenue Pub and I wouldn't be to surprised if I drank my weight in Parish Envie, so, so, so damn good...

Will be landing in NO Tuesday night. Driving to Baton Rouge and staying there that night. Then quick shot to Gulfport and then back to NO for the night on Wednesday. Fly out Thursday afternoon.

I know I am gonna touch tips with kuemmelbrau again. Just testing the waters for who else is around.

Will be in town Friday morning to Tuesday morning for Jazz Fest. Got an Airbnb in Bywater. Unfortunately, most of our (planned) late nights are in the Quarter or on Frenchman so don't think Ill be spending much time Uptown other than Monday.

It's been a few years...anything I should be on the look out for other than Envie apparently? Any craft at the fairgrounds these days?

Hitting up Avenue Pub for mornings beers either Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday, for a nice break after some mornings runs and avoid wedding shenanigans. Also, staying super close to Courtyard, if anyone is down for tip touching.

Hitting up Avenue Pub for mornings beers either Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday, for a nice break after some mornings runs and avoid wedding shenanigans. Also, staying super close to Courtyard, if anyone is down for tip touching.

You got my number. As I said, going to Parish for the new IPA probably early Saturday. There's a chance I may continue onward to Austin/Jester King, hashing that out now. Hit me up Friday, down to touch tips.

So the girlfriend and I are traveling here right before Thanksgiving. I've wanted to go to New Orleans for awhile, and I was hoping to go around Halloween, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I saw the initial posts, and will be planning the trip more as it gets closer, but we definitely want to hit up some breweries, some music (Preservation Hall, or is that a tourist trap?) see the Interview with the Vampire house, architectural/historical tour, def southern food, see some swampy ****.

What's some cool weird stuff to see? Is there a New Orleans drink like there are regional drinks in Chicago (frozen Negroni, Malort), any local coffee roasters, record stores worth checking out? Again I'm with the GF, so I can't go crazy.

Has anyone gone to Le bon Temps Roule? Is it worth going or is it just a **** hole?

So the girlfriend and I are traveling here right before Thanksgiving. I've wanted to go to New Orleans for awhile, and I was hoping to go around Halloween, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I saw the initial posts, and will be planning the trip more as it gets closer, but we definitely want to hit up some breweries, some music (Preservation Hall, or is that a tourist trap?) see the Interview with the Vampire house, architectural/historical tour, def southern food, see some swampy ****.

What's some cool weird stuff to see? Is there a New Orleans drink like there are regional drinks in Chicago (frozen Negroni, Malort), any local coffee roasters, record stores worth checking out? Again I'm with the GF, so I can't go crazy.

Has anyone gone to Le bon Temps Roule? Is it worth going or is it just a **** hole?

I had Frozen Irish Coffee, **** loads of hurricanes and other blended drinks serve quickie mart style. Favorite was Disco Lemonade at Rusty Nail. Not sure what it was but I loved it.

Visit Courtyard Brewery. Small little spot with great in house beers and good local gues taps. Friendly people and cool area of New Orleans.

Eat at Cotogna

The drink of choice is the cocktail or daiquiris. We invented a lot of them at old-ass fancy bars. (Sazeracs, gin fizz, hurricane, pimms cup) Pres hall is okay, but it is quite a bit touristy. My vote would be snug harbor on frenchman if you want jazz. We also have a bunch of small coffee roasters... Ask yourself if you want chicory or not before you come. Euclid records is cool and downtown, domino records is 10 min from downtown. Bon temps is cool for music, but I would skip it as a bar. Check out a brass band. The Maple leaf is the same story as Bon temps.

I would also say to skip courtyard and go to the ave pub. They are close to each other, and ave kicks courtyards ass in both beer offered and strength of ownership. The courtyard owner is quite the sterotypical California ****** bag. But I'm sure he would love to tell you all about how MA and LA beer (and every other beer) is so sub par compared to in caliiiii broooo.

What sort of availability is there on Great Raft and Parish brewing in New Orleans? What about Great Raft Old Mad Joy? Probably the coolest beer label I've ever seen.

Like hard to come by type of beer, or just something that's not on the shelf?

Parish is at every grocery store in the city. GitM will be the only one that is difficult to find as it gets bought up quickly. Great raft is also in most grocery stores, just not to the same extent as parish. Im not sure about the specific beer you are looking for. Hitting up steins deli when you are in town is your best bet for whatever you are looking for... Just make sure you find the back beer room.

Zwanze at Avenue Pub...is this an open event this year?
Somewhat managable at this point?
I may be road tripping thru there for Zwanze Day, def interested in stopping by.
Cheers

Not a ton. Avenue is great for drinking bourbon. Great selection and generally reasonable prices.

Buying you can check out keife & company, Vieux Carre, and elios.

Not a ton. Avenue is great for drinking bourbon. Great selection and generally reasonable prices.

Buying you can check out keife & company, Vieux Carre, and elios.

Thanks. Doesn't need to be Pappy or super rare ****, just maybe a bottle of something nice that doesn't make its way to Seattle.

What's the consensus on:

1: renting a car
2: finding parking
3: safety
4: walking around at night? Read some things saying to cab everywhere and don't walk out of French Qtr?

What's the consensus on:

1: renting a car
2: finding parking
3: safety
4: walking around at night? Read some things saying to cab everywhere and don't walk out of French Qtr?

Where are you staying? Like any big city there are places you shouldn't wander into on foot but overall walking around isn't a problem. Parking isn't that bad except for fri/sat nights downtown. No idea about a rental. As far as safety is concerned just don't be obnoxious to the locals, or someone may kick the **** out of you. Leave any trump gear you may have at home. This is a multicultural town and racism isn't tolerated at all. Aside from that just keep walking if some random bets you they can tell you where you got your shoes. Compared to most major cities our crime is waaaay down over the last few years.

Compared to most major cities our crime is waaaay down over the last few years.

Unfortunately this isn't really true lol. Be smart, don't go to the projects to buy drugs. There are certain neighborhoods you wouldn't want to walk through at night, but there's no real reason you would be there in the first place.

You can rent a car fairly cheaply here. Parking is really easy. I never pay to park if that gives you an idea, even if I'm going out downtown. Uber is way better than a cab.

EVjiPWR.jpg

tcuCYQo.jpg

overall trend is down since 2010. I promise.

i do think my definition of safe and nophunk definition of safe also probably differ based on personality. i work in project stores all the time. Haven't had a problem (even as a white guy with long hair) in the decade i've been doing this. Your safety has more to do with how you act than where you are imo.

overall trend is down since 2010. I promise.

You said compared to other major cities. Anyway, we still have tons of violent crime is the point. I guess the way you act is just as important, hard to say. However, I wouldn't advocate taking a stroll through Central City at night solo.

Were staying in Central City area :(. House is super nice, neighborhood is a little sketch. We're like a 10 min walk from the Southern Food museum?

I mean there are really cool historic homes there. I have friends that live there. Avenue Pub is right across the street. It is pretty ghetto but also rapidly gentrifying. If you are close to St. Charles, that is much better than being deep in the neighborhood towards Claiborne. If you are conscious of your surroundings and not being an idiot, you should be ok. I bike solo in Central City at night all the time for what it's worth. I just said I wouldn't advocate doing that haha! I'm 26 and not a prime target IMO. My parents don't go hang out there though if you catch my drift.

I mean there are really cool historic homes there. I have friends that live there. Avenue Pub is right across the street. It is pretty ghetto but also rapidly gentrifying. If you are close to St. Charles, that is much better than being deep in the neighborhood towards Claiborne. If you are conscious of your surroundings and not being an idiot, you should be ok. I bike solo in Central City at night all the time for what it's worth. I just said I wouldn't advocate doing that haha! I'm 26 and not a prime target IMO. My parents don't go hang out there though if you catch my drift.

Yeah I mean I'm 31 and the gf is 33, and we're definitely not trying to act a fool or cause problems. And we're both just as bummed out about God King Drumpf, so we're honestly trying to avoid any political discussions.

Thinking about hitting up:

NOLA brewing and Urban South before Hitting Magazine St?

Went to Domilese's and Toups already

Back