Great Western Brumalt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
I enjoy reading through Beer and Brewing Magazine and stumbled upon an ad for a free sample of a new malt by Great Western. Its called Brumalt and is described as "the newest creation...Tart, but slightly sweet, Brūmalt delivers a lively complexity not found in other malts"

Has anyone used this malt before? and in what? Any other malts it is comparable to?

Its a small sample of 3oz so I may end up brewing up a 1-2 gallon batch with it to see what its all about.

It is another version of Honey Malt. I prefer the Brumalt more so than the Gambrinus product, as it is less saccharine sweet. Use around 2-3% for most styles without overpowering the other flavors.

It is another version of Honey Malt. I prefer the Brumalt more so than the Gambrinus product, as it is less saccharine sweet. Use around 2-3% for most styles without overpowering the other flavors.

Thanks.. learn something new every day

Now I was able to do some research on brumalt (I had no idea it was a malt- or similar to melanoidin/honey malt).

When you say you prefer the Brumalt over Gambrinus product- are you specifically referring to the Great Western version of Brumalt? it seems they are advertising theirs to be more tart in profile.

Back