Great Literature not about Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyBeard

Reaction score
I tend to get a little overwhelmed whenever I hit the library or the book store and forget what I have gone in to look for. Since most of you out there obviously have great opinions on beer, how about an on going list of great things to read from like minded individuals. Be a good way to keep a list in my pocket to browse whenever I need another book. Just post the title and author and if you feel a small description or the reason it's worth reading. Look forward to see what you all recommend.

Some of my all time favorites:

1) The Game of Thrones Series by George R. R. Martin - The very definition of epic. Technically a fantasy series, but the story and characters are so compelling that even non-nerds love it.

2) House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - part experimental literature, part mind-bending haunted house horror story. A bit challenging due to the unusual formatting, but hands-down one of the most original novels I've ever read. I loved this one so much I read it twice, which is rare for me.

3) Select Stephen King novels: The Dark Tower Series, The Stand, The Shining, It, Salem's Lot, etc - Yeah, he's written a lot of crap novels, but also a number of true masterpieces as well.

4) Select Michael Crichton novels: Jurassic Park, Lost World, Timeline, Sphere - His novels blend science fiction with science fact, to the point of making otherwise far-fetched concepts seem believable.

hunter_la5 said:
4) Select Michael Crichton novels: Jurassic Park, Lost World, Timeline, Sphere - His novels blend science fiction with science fact, to the point of making otherwise far-fetched concepts seem believable.
His book Pirate Latitudes is one of my favorites

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein
Battlefield Earth - L. Ron Hubbard
Last of the Breed - Louis L'Amore
Rendevouz with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke
Glory Road - Robert Heinlein
Citizen of the Galaxy - Robert Heinlein
The Call of the Wild - Jack London
King of the Grizzlies - Ernest Thompson Seton
Animal Farm - George Orwell
1984 - George Orwell
Moby Dick - Herman Melville

Just to name a few.

I like the classics, which fortunately are usually pretty cheap at the bookstores.

Faulkner's Sound and the Fury
Hemingway's A Moveable Feast
Salinger's Catcher and Franny and Zooey
Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm

While not quite en vogue, they are timeless and thoughtfull.

ColoHox said:
I like the classics, which fortunately are usually pretty cheap at the bookstores. Faulkner's Sound and the Fury Hemingway's A Moveable Feast Salinger's Catcher and Franny and Zooey Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm While not quite en vogue, they are timeless and thoughtfull.
Just finished the Sun Also Rises and am in the middle of For Whom The Bell Tolls. I kind of get in a kick of reading all of one author's notable works then move to the next.

Just finished the Sun Also Rises and am in the middle of For Whom The Bell Tolls. I kind of get in a kick of reading all of one author's notable works then move to the next.

A Farewell to Arms was one of the best books I've ever read. The Sun Also Rises was one of the worst books I've ever read. I have the same habit was you, I get hung up on one author and run with it. Good concept.

estricklin said:
A Farewell to Arms was one of the best books I've ever read. The Sun Also Rises was one of the worst books I've ever read. I have the same habit was you, I get hung up on one author and run with it. Good concept.
Yea The Sun Also Rises pissed me off! You know Jake was in love with Lady Ashley but she whored it up right in front of him since his man bits didn't work. Just felt sorry for the dude.

Yea The Sun Also Rises pissed me off! You know Jake was in love with Lady Ashley but she whored it up right in front of him since his man bits didn't work. Just felt sorry for the dude.

Well so little happened in that book, but his writing style kept me reading it though it was like Atlas Shrugged for me in the respect I had to make myself finish it.

The Book Of Lost Things- John Connolly. Great story that is a very fast and easy read that even a child would understand, but not meant for children.

The Wayward Bus- John Steinbeck. Great story of 1950's Americana and human spirit

East Of Eden- John Steinbeck. A somewhat dirty book, the reason I liked it was due to the classic struggle of wanting validation and of course cain and abel

Bad Men- John Connolly. Connolly is a big King fan and it reflects in his writing, this particular novel got me into the author.

I notice a lot of people mentioning 1984, but no one has mentioned: This Perfect Day-Ira Levin. Great negative utopia, much better than 1984 IMO

One of my favorite books of all time is "The Jungle". It was written to be a call-to-arms for the union/labor movement in the United States, but instead was largely responsible for revolutionizing food safety and meat inspection in this country. This book was the starting point that led me to peruse a career in the meat industry and develop a passion for making sausage at home.

I notice a lot of people mentioning 1984, but no one has mentioned: This Perfect Day-Ira Levin. Great negative utopia, much better than 1984 IMO

I feel this way about Huxley's Brave New World. I always enjoyed this one far more than 1984.

I gotta throw this one out, and yes I'm prepared to get my a$$ handed to me, but a good story simply for the sake of a story--now don't laugh--are the Harry Potter novels. Yes...I will concede they start very childish for the first two books, but then the story changes and becomes much darker and adult oriented. I got hooked on these while in Iraq in 03-05, and still go back and re-read the series every few months.

Don't dig too deep and just enjoy the ride.

I've been reading a lot of Guy Gavriel Kay in recent years. Solidly crafted works, each of them, though not all are created equal. Everything he writes is good, several works are really phenomenal. Look to his early works for more fantasy themed plots, and his mid and later works for non-fantastical historical fiction.

Wool - Hugh Howey
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
(Similar vein, I know.)

Second the Steinbecks already mentioned.

Berlin 1961 - Frederick Kempe (fascinating historical non-fiction)

Red Mars
Green Mars
Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson

Huxley's Brave New World if one of my favorites. Ayn Rand's Anthem is a similar read and can be read in a day. I've gotten into the Game of Thrones series but I just can't stay interested, I get what Martin is doing but it's a little too soap opera-ish for me. I am absolutely hooked on the Emberverse series by S.M. Sterling, first book is Dies the Fire. For me, it's the perfect mix of sci-fi fantasy and real world practicality.

I feel this way about Huxley's Brave New World. I always enjoyed this one far more than 1984.

I gotta throw this one out, and yes I'm prepared to get my a$$ handed to me, but a good story simply for the sake of a story--now don't laugh--are the Harry Potter novels. Yes...I will concede they start very childish for the first two books, but then the story changes and becomes much darker and adult oriented. I got hooked on these while in Iraq in 03-05, and still go back and re-read the series every few months.

I try to tell people this all the time!! The first couple books are so so, but after that it's not as much of a children's book. In fact, that is one series I've promised myself to read again one day. It was that good.

this will seem a little outta left field but...

Marilyn Manson's Long Hard Road Outta Hell -- one of the better books i've ever read to be honest, entertaining and just interesting to see how his career developed from his childhood to where he was when the book was written.

When I am looking for something to keep my mind occupied, I like crime fiction/ humor. Some favorites:

Anything by Carl Hiaasan
Lee Child. The Reacher books are all entertaining.
Anything by Tim Dorsey
Clive Cussler, somewhat predictable, but always entertaining.
The Fountainhead. Not a simple read, but a classic

uphillbrewer said:
When I am looking for something to keep my mind occupied, I like crime fiction/ humor. Some favorites: Anything by Carl Hiaasan Lee Child. The Reacher books are all entertaining. Anything by Tim Dorsey Clive Cussler, somewhat predictable, but always entertaining. The Fountainhead. Not a simple read, but a classic
Tim Dorsey writes some funny stuff and that reminds me of Tim O'Brien. The Things They Carried is a great book of stories about the emotional toll of the Vietnam War.

Einberger1 said:
One of my favorite books of all time is "The Jungle". It was written to be a call-to-arms for the union/labor movement in the United States, but instead was largely responsible for revolutionizing food safety and meat inspection in this country. This book was the starting point that led me to peruse a career in the meat industry and develop a passion for making sausage at home.
I have been wanting to read this. You ever read any of Michael Pollan's books?

Another vote for the Wool series.
Ready Player One - I suppose between it being an easy read with a nerd gamer tone could make people roll their eyes at me, but I really enjoyed the book.
I haven't started them but the Dark Tower series is supposed to be great and on my short list of to-do in reading.

Captain Blackman by John Williams if you're into history. I am, so books like this appeal to me.

Absolutely! just enjoy the ride. Tis why I also read Piers Anthony's Fantasy stuff. Its just such a nice read I don't care if teens read them too and yes I have read The Hunger Games and I liked it
!!

Wool - Hugh Howey
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
(Similar vein, I know.)

Second the Steinbecks already mentioned.

Berlin 1961 - Frederick Kempe (fascinating historical non-fiction)

Red Mars
Green Mars
Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson

UGH, The Road I could not get into, the book or the movie. I found it dull...

All of Isaac Asimov.
Pandora's Star, Peter F. Hamilton
Callahan's Lady' Spider Robinson
The Demon-Haunted World, Carl Sagan
Bonk, Mary Roach

Yes I missed All of Asimov, he kicks arse

To the many great books already listed, I would add these:

Ivan Doig's The Sea Runners
Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion
Louise Erdrich's Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse
Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian and The Road

I really like the writing style of Jim Butchers Dresden series. Mix between detective with fantasy mixed in. Not to mention that there is a character who runs the local pub who makes his own beer and is mentioned in many of the books. I also like the smartassy main character. Dark tower was good. I still think the first is the strongest of the books, and the first line is amazing and made me read the book when i first stumbled over it. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

I am struggling through the most recent of the GOT books, I read fast but Martin is getting a touch tedious. I will finish it though. The HP books were pretty solid. I am not ashamed. I liked the Road, depressing as hell though. First few of the Ender Saga were good, but it seemed to drag on later. Unbroken was pretty awesome (true story of a POW and his running career)
I have some Stephen E. Ambrose up next on my list. I do need more distopian fiction as the downers are always fun to read.

What kind of books do you tend to enjoy? History, Alternate History, Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Smut(pretty much anything with a fabio type on the cover, '50 shades of Haaay' included), PI/Cop (I like the Kenzie and Gennero series by Dennis Lehane), Whitepapers(if so you be crazy man)?

I really like the writing style of Jim Butchers Dresden series. Mix between detective with fantasy mixed in. Not to mention that there is a character who runs the local pub who makes his own beer and is mentioned in many of the books. I also like the smartassy main character. Dark tower was good. I still think the first is the strongest of the books, and the first line is amazing and made me read the book when i first stumbled over it. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

I am struggling through the most recent of the GOT books, I read fast but Martin is getting a touch tedious. I will finish it though. The HP books were pretty solid. I am not ashamed. I liked the Road, depressing as hell though. First few of the Ender Saga were good, but it seemed to drag on later. Unbroken was pretty awesome (true story of a POW and his running career)
I have some Stephen E. Ambrose up next on my list. I do need more distopian fiction as the downers are always fun to read.

What kind of books do you tend to enjoy? History, Alternate History, Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Smut(pretty much anything with a fabio type on the cover, '50 shades of Haaay' included), PI/Cop (I like the Kenzie and Gennero series by Dennis Lehane), Whitepapers(if so you be crazy man)?

Yeah the GoT books can get a bit tedious when you get to chapters of characters you don't like or care for. I always blasted through Tyrions chapters and Dany's chapters were a complete bore until a Dance With Dragons. I also struggled with the Ironborn chapters in A Feast For Crows, but everything starts coming together in aDWD so its all worth it.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Shogun by James Clavell
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Shogun by James Clavell
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

I loved Shogun by Clavell, also King Rat and Taipan.

Alaska by James Michener

the Geoddysey series by Piers Anthony:
1 Isle of Woman (1993)
2 Shame of Man (1994)
3 Hope of Earth (1997)
4 Muse of Art (1999)
5 Climate of Change (2010)

Yeah the GoT books can get a bit tedious when you get to chapters of characters you don't like or care for. I always blasted through Tyrions chapters and Dany's chapters were a complete bore until a Dance With Dragons. I also struggled with the Ironborn chapters in A Feast For Crows, but everything starts coming together in aDWD so its all worth it.

Really? Dance is where it is getting tedious to me. I am getting a tad sick of Daerneys though so she is probably the one to blame.

Really? Dance is where it is getting tedious to me. I am getting a tad sick of Daerneys though so she is probably the one to blame.

*Game Of Thrones Spoiler Alert*

Well i mean as far as the Ironborn are concerned. Their stories come together in DWD. Lol about Dany though, I can see how you would get sick of her she just seems to be F***ing up, she should have taken the dragons and left for the Sunset Kingdom when she had the chance. She could always have come back to the Slaver cities after she had trained her damn dragons.

I did enjoy the Dany chapters though there is so much treachery afoot. I do enjoy her whoriness :)

Anything by "Kurt Vonnegut". The man could write an entire book about a brick. And it would be great to read.

Crow Killer - Raymond Thorp & Robert Bunker. Based on history, but there is some argument as to just how accurate it is, but it's a good read either way.

The "Earth's Children" series - Jean M. Auel. The 1st book in this series is Clan Of The Cave Bear.

One Second After - William Forstchen. Fiction, but the premise is entirely possible, even probable.

"The Dresden Files" - Jim Butcher. The 1st book in the series is Storm Front. Sort of Harry Potter meets the Rockford Files. The books keep getting better & better. Action, mystery, fantasy & some humor all rolled into this series.

+ 1 on anything by Patrick F McManus, you'll laugh so hard it hurts!

The "Spellsinger" series - Alan Dean Foster. An interesting & humorous spin on fantasy. 1st book in the series is Spellsinger.

The Long, Loud Silence - Wilson Tucker. A very good post-apocalyptic survival story.

The "Amber" series - Roger Zelazny. 1st book is Nine Princes In Amber. This is an excellent fantasy series, not like any other.
Regards, GF.

Crow Killer - Raymond Thorp & Robert Bunker. Based on history, but there is some argument as to just how accurate it is, but it's a good read either way.

The "Earth's Children" series - Jean M. Auel. The 1st book in this series is Clan Of The Cave Bear.

One Second After - William Forstchen. Fiction, but the premise is entirely possible, even probable.

"The Dresden Files" - Jim Butcher. The 1st book in the series is Storm Front. Sort of Harry Potter meets the Rockford Files. The books keep getting better & better. Action, mystery, fantasy & some humor all rolled into this series.

+ 1 on anything by Patrick F McManus, you'll laugh so hard it hurts!

The "Spellsinger" series - Alan Dean Foster. An interesting & humorous spin on fantasy. 1st book in the series is Spellsinger.

The Long, Loud Silence - Wilson Tucker. A very good post-apocalyptic survival story.

The "Amber" series - Roger Zelazny. 1st book is Nine Princes In Amber. This is an excellent fantasy series, not like any other.
Regards, GF.

+12 on the amber series. Great books. They get a touch weird when you hit the extended part of the series (after the main story line ends) though.

Anything by Terry Pratchett, though his Discworld books are really his best. Don't start at the beginning though - I appreciate Rincewind and the beginning as a fan, but I think if I'd started there, I'd just have been... "What is this?" Guards Guards! is a great stepping stone into Pratchett's world, I think. Or Small Gods if you want something a little heavier on the philosophy.

Back