Great beer for X-mas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00p

Reaction score
First time poster here, I'll start off with a question.

I've got some family coming into town around Christmas, and want to knock their socks off with a great beer. With about 3 months to work with, what would you suggest?

My first thought was something along the lines of a double brown with some coffee and cacao in secondary. (Something like Wild Heaven's Ode to Mercy if you're familiar with that).

Only caveat is that I've only got the equipment for extracts or partial mash recipes.

Thanks, all!

First time poster here, I'll start off with a question.

I've got some family coming into town around Christmas, and want to knock their socks off with a great beer. With about 3 months to work with, what would you suggest?

My first thought was something along the lines of a double brown with some coffee and cacao in secondary. (Something like Wild Heaven's Ode to Mercy if you're familiar with that).

Only caveat is that I've only got the equipment for extracts or partial mash recipes.

Thanks, all!

If that is what your family likes, then do it!

My family would NOT be impressed with beer like that- they'd want an American light lager or cream ale- so it really depends on what their tastes are.

Some people like stouts, some like winter warmers, some like rich and full wee heavy, while people like my family do not.

I'd probably make sure I made either a recipe I made before, or one that I was very sure would come out well, because on Christmas, I don't want to pull out a special beer only to find out that orange spiced candy caned beer wasn't really a good idea! :drunk:

Hey, welcome to HBT!

I brewed this one Saturday for that very reason (and as a gift for my mother, who loves 'dank' beer :)) With a little over 3 months from brewday, I'm thinking the flavors will have time to meld and it should be a damn good beer. I'll probably stash a few bottles to try next year as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chocolate-espresso-stout-40754/

Just looking at the recipe has me drooling, can't wait to pop one with the family after xmas dinner!

Back