Great Bear Springs Carboy - Leaded Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da99et

Reaction score
Saw some leaded glass posts and some people mention having these Great Bear Springs carboys. I came in to having one of these carboys as well and because it's older, I was wondering if anyone knows if they were made with leaded glass or not. Tried emailing the glass company, but no reply. I'm fairly certain that it isn't leaded glass based on some research... but never huts to check.

-Leaded glass is typically used for ornate containers like decanters and decorative glassware. (Carboys - not usually ornate..)

-Seems irrational for a water company to used leaded glass for carboys, although supposedly water doesn't leach lead from glass so easily.

So anyway, I'm wondering if anyone uses these for secondary and if they know anything about it being leaded glass or not. I may end up just using a lead tester on it. Posted some pics for reference. The glass company was Owens-Illinois (known now as O-I) and there is a 65 printed in the mold of the carboy on the bottom.. possibly the year it was made?

Thanks for any help! Cheers! :mug:

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

Personally, I would just spend the eight bucks on a lead testing kit, so I'd know for sure.

Argh! Stupid internet making me clone post... Thanks Lando, will do and let you know!

Latest posts

Back