Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russrob81

Reaction score
Brewed 2 batches of beer now one ready for consumption, at my buddies haven't had any yet, and one ready to keg, will start consuming other brew then. Probably brew another batch after kegging the one and drinking the other this weekend. I know to calculate abv subtract og and fg and you have abv if your actual values are higher or lower how does that affect your beer

Brewed 2 batches of beer now one ready for consumption, at my buddies haven't had any yet, and one ready to keg, will start consuming other brew then. Probably brew another batch after kegging the one and drinking the other this weekend. I know to calculate abv subtract og and fg and you have abv if your actual values are higher or lower how does that affect your beer

Subtracting OG and FG will only give you a difference in gravity.

Common approximation:
ABV = (OG – FG) * 131.25

So if your OG was 1.050, and FG was 1.010, you'd have this:
(1.050 - 1.010) * 131.25
(.04) * 131.25
=5.25
This is your percent ABV.

Not sure I understand the question... If you're asking if the gravity readings are higher or lower than what the actual gravity reading is, then the answer I suppose is that your ABV will be higher or lower. You can approximate with the formula above.

THanks,

Nic

Thanks for the help I oversimplified the abv calc. My question was if you have a sg of 1.085 and fg of 1,045 would it have a different flavour character etc of a beer with sg 1.050 and fg 1.010

Thanks for the help I oversimplified the abv calc. My question was if you have a sg of 1.085 and fg of 1,045 would it have a different flavour character etc of a beer with sg 1.050 and fg 1.010

I would say that in terms of taste, gravity readings are giving you an idea of sugar content, so rather than worry about the amount of change in gravity, worry about what the final is. If your final gravity is 1.045, there's going to likely be more sweet than one whose final gravity is 1.010. But also note if you did have a very high start/initial and a very low final, then obviously a lot of sugar is now alcohol, and at some point, that taste starts to come through, depending on what other flavors are in there. I've had some beers that ended up at 10.5% ABV, and I couldn't really taste the alcohol... it was masked, or at least in harmony, with the other flavors. I've had other beers a little weaker, say 9.5%, that I could taste the alcohol in.

Does that help?

I hope someone else chimes in as well, since I'm no expert.

The lower your final gravity is, the dryer your beer will be and the higher the final gravity the more body and sweetness it will have from unfermentable sugars. By measuring the gravity you are measuring the density of the beer, so a more dense beer (higher final gravity) will have more sugars that the yeast could not convert to alcohol. This will give it a thicker, sweeter, more full bodied mouthfeel. Usually final gravities range from 1.005 on the very dry side to 1.030 on the very sweet side (there are of course beers outside of this range, but I would say that is where the majority of beer would fall). 1.045 would most likely be disgustingly sweet. When you increase your original gravity you are increasing the amount of sugar available for the yeast to convert to alcohol meaning you will most likely get a higher ABV beer.

Also remember that the perception of sweetness depends on the type of sugar present. You may have a beer with FG=1.045 that doesn't taste sweet because all in there is dextrin, which for most people doesn't taste sweet at all.
In other hand, if you dumped a bunch of lactose in your recipe, final gravity will be as high and much sweeter.
One thing is certain, a 1.045 beer will have much more body/mouth feel than a 1.010 beer, which may interfer with perception of flavors.
Ideally, if you are brewing regular styles, try to stay within the recommended BJCP OG&FG.

That's going to be one thick, sweet, brew in glass. As mentioned, higher FG's means more sweetness left as well as thicker body. Think of how syrup is when it's thicker, or thinner. Very similar.

For reliable ABV calculations, try this site/tool: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

Thank you all. Was using 1.045 as an example. Our beer for kegging this weekend is a Scottish wee heavy with an on target og of 1.086 and fg est 1.025 haven't tested yet but that's what recipe estimates. Was playing around with recipes on Ibrewmaster and everything I put has higher gravities

Thank you all. Was using 1.045 as an example. Our beer for kegging this weekend is a Scottish wee heavy with an on target og of 1.086 and fg est 1.025 haven't tested yet but that's what recipe estimates. Was playing around with recipes on Ibrewmaster and everything I put has higher gravities

I just use BeerSmith 2.x... Typically, it's either on the money, or within a couple of gravity points of what I hit for the FG on a batch.

I just use BeerSmith 2.x... Typically, it's either on the money, or within a couple of gravity points of what I hit for the FG on a batch.

As long as your recipe doesn't have much carapils, lactose, crystals or highly kilned malts. This and many other tools assume all sugars are equal. You can replace lets say 1lb of carapils with 2row (2 get same OG) and it will tell you the FG is the same.

As long as your recipe doesn't have much carapils, lactose, crystals or highly kilned malts. This and many other tools assume all sugars are equal. You can replace lets say 1lb of carapils with 2row (2 get same OG) and it will tell you the FG is the same.

I never use lactose and make sure to have at least 75-80% base malt and have had zero issues with BeerSmith 2.x... Of course, I'm also using the latest version (all updates applied)... :cross: I've also used plenty of crystal malts, kilned malts, etc. with solid results.

Latest posts

Back