Gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewlooker

Reaction score
Can I take the gravity reading straight from the fermenter or do I need to siphon it into a beaker?

If sanitized hydrometer, the fermenter is fine. I use a graduated cylinder. Lets me taste it as I go.

BrewPharm said:
If sanitized hydrometer, the fermenter is fine. I use a graduated cylinder. Lets me taste it as I go.

It's fine until you break one or have some other mishap. Best to use a thief or turkey baster to draw a sample to a flask. This also has the added benefit of being able to taste your progress!!

I've heard of people who simply leave a sanitized hydrometer floating permanently in the fermenter. I've never met any of these people but I've heard they exist.

'course you need a properly shaped fermenter... and you need to take all appropriate sanitation, aeration, etc. precautions...

Plus all the gunk and trub that would stick to it would throw the reading off. Not a good technique...

I use a sanitized turkey baster to transfer a sample to a plastic graduated cylinder for testing. Takes about 4oz. Also nice to sip a sample from said cylinder after the gravity's been read.

Back