Gravity reading help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdCerveza

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer one week ago today. An Irish Red Ale from Northern Brewing. Never saw any action in the airlock. I did not take an original gravity reading. The Ale instructions note O.G. 1.044.

I now have a hydrometer which i bought off of Amazon. It was packed w/ some papers that read "this hydrometer is for distilled alcohol only. It cannot be used for beer, wine or any other fermented beverage". Perfect. I dont recall the product description mentioning this caveat. Anyway, I took some pics of the brew and of the gravity reading. Was hoping that someone can comment on the current hydrometer reading.

Pictures here...

http://imgur.com/a/eyHeK

I found this info on your hydrometer:

Proof and Tralle Hydrometer
For Distilled Alcohol and Spirits

A Proof and Tralle hydrometer directly measures the alcohol content of distilled alcohol or spirits with a specific gravity less than 1.000. It is unlike standard beer and wine hydrometers because it is calibrated to give a direct reading of actual alcohol content and not the density of the liquid. This hydrometer provides 2 scales of measurement which are Proof (the US International Revenue Scale for proof of spirits) and Tralle (the actual percentage of alcohol). It is calibrated to give accurate readings at 60F (15.6C) and includes a chart that provides the adjustments needed when using it at different temperatures.
To use the hydrometer, simply fill a test tube with the liquid sample. The plastic storage container that the hydrometer is supplied with can also be jjused as the testing container however a test tube with a wide base provides additional benefits. The volume of the liquid must be large enough to completely suspend the hydrometer. Place the hydrometer in the liquid, make sure that it is completely suspended and that there are no air bubbles or other obstructions. The result is determined on the hydrometer scale at the surface of the liquid.
Notes

A Proof and Tralle Hydrometer is meant to provide a general indication of alcohol content. A very precise measurement requires the use of more specialized equipment.

A Proof and Tralle Hydrometer is designed to only test 'pure' distilled spirits such as whiskey and vodka. It is not meant to be used with liquors that have high concentrations of sugar or other ingredients such as Rum, Kahlua, Jagermeister, cordials and liqueurs.

Um... correct me if I'm wrong:

A hydrometer is a hydrometer. It's the *scale* that differs. So with research, the OP *could* figure out how to convert proof and Tralle scale into a brewers scale and use this hydrometer.

Or s/he could buy a new hydrometer...

====
Oops... no, it wouldn't work cause the scales are simply mutually out of range. Bummer...

====
OK. You're wrong.

The scales on the distilled spirit hydrometers read mostly in the sub-1.000 range. It's not a matter of "converting". You cannot use them for beer.
Well, you *can* convert 'em but anything with a positive Tralle will be a sub-1.000 range and anything with a sup-1.000 range would be negative on the Tralle and simply won't be measurable with the scale written upon this hydrometer. Bummer...

Um... correct me if I'm wrong:

A hydrometer is a hydrometer. It's the *scale* that differs. So with research, the OP *could* figure out how to convert proof and Tralle scale into a brewers scale and use this hydrometer.

Or s/he could buy a new hydrometer...

OK. You're wrong.

The scales on the distilled spirit hydrometers read mostly in the sub-1.000 range. It's not a matter of "converting". You cannot use them for beer.

Okay, I'm done a quick search of Amazon Hydrometers. As long as you actively avoid "Proof and Tralle" (and aquarium) hydrometers you should be okay.

Most Proof and Tralle pages have a warning for distilled only but this one didn't and I'd have fallen for it.

You learn something new every day. Anything that is specifically *not* Proof and Tralle should be fine though.
It's below zero. You need to get a hydrometer from Nb,midwest,or the like.

well, the sad thing is Midwest does make and sell Proof and Tralle hydrometers. We just have to live and learn-- no Proof and Tralle. It's a mistake anyone could have made.... once.

====
O.P., notice how the readings all start at 0 and increase *up*word and how your level is below 0. On a gravity scale the 0 would correspond with 1.000 and the gravities would all increase *down*ward.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're buying a hydrometer, make sure the range is at least 0.990-1.100, preferably higher (like 1.120). That is more than enough for any "standard" beer and should be enough for *almost* any crazy beer.

Some hydrometers are made for smaller subsets of that range. They are more accurate, but it is not necessary to be that accurate. Three digits is fine.

Back