Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjm06

Reaction score
Hey all

I just took the fg reading of a cream stout and it was 1.022, I assume there is something wrong. My og was 1.045 which would make the abv around 3% I believe. Any ideas what could have caused this. I racked to secondary after 10 Days and kegged after about a month. Thanks

Hey all

I just took the fg reading of a cream stout and it was 1.022, I assume there is something wrong. My og was 1.045 which would make the abv around 3% I believe. Any ideas what could have caused this. I racked to secondary after 10 Days and kegged after about a month. Thanks

We would need recipe, and steps you took, fermentation temps, etc. The more info you can give us, the more likely we are of finding your problem.

+1 on more info.

If you are already carbonated and you are getting a reading of 1.022, you may be higher than that actually due to any CO2 contamination.

Even with more info, it looks like you got yourself a session beer ;)

It was an extract kit and i added coconut flakes into the secondary and it sat on it for about two weeks. (should have said this in the first place sorry) i boiled the organic flakes in coconut juice then racked primary on top. The fermenting temps in the low 70s. I took the fg reading before I kegged/carbonated.

I don't know how much coconut juice made it into the secondary, but it is possible you added some complex unfermentable sugars at that point, which would skew your readings to the high side. In such a situation, you could either A)take a gravity reading when transferring to secondary, before making any additions; or B) RDWHAHB.

Did you make a starter? With liquid yeast, I have observed a correlation between size of starter, and the eventual attenuation. More = better (within limits of course).

Anyway, it is what it is. I made a monstrously underattenuated stout last year, which was a big disappointment to me except for the fact that everyone loved it!

Cheers!

frazier said:
I don't know how much coconut juice made it into the secondary, but it is possible you added some complex unfermentable sugars at that point, which would skew your readings to the high side. In such a situation, you could either A)take a gravity reading when transferring to secondary, before making any additions; or B) RDWHAHB.

Did you make a starter? With liquid yeast, I have observed a correlation between size of starter, and the eventual attenuation. More = better (within limits of course).

Anyway, it is what it is. I made a monstrously underattenuated stout last year, which was a big disappointment to me except for the fact that everyone loved it!

Cheers!

I put about 10oz of juice in. I found a recipe on here that I used.

Unfortunately I didn't make a starter, I have yet to branch into starters yet. This was only my third batch up to that point. I made a chocolate milk stout before this one and it was great.

Latest posts

Back