Gravity on double batch - Christmas and something else

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayerischBier

Reaction score
So this came up as an idea....
hypothetical we do have rest sugars in the wort when we do flysparging but reached the pre-boil amount we aim for, right?

Let's say you are thinking about a heavy xmas beer like i.e. 10% but push its gravity with some candi sugars (hey it's a Belgian xmas).
I am wondering, without a specific grain bill or specific gravity counts i.e. 1.100 etc, if there are calculators/spread sheets out there that could help in the endeavor:
Mash the xmas beer, flysparge, boil and put some hops-magic to the xmas beer. Yet, I was thinking to use the left over gravity points in the remaining mash and, maybe with a different yeast/hops combo, to get a i.e. 1.050 beer?

just some thoughts....
t

I may be wrong but I believe this is called parti-gyle brewing. Two beers are made one obviously having a higher OG than the other. The lower gravity one may taste weird due to higher tannin extraction from the grains. I say do it!!

Thank you guys! yeah, the excel sheet is a good start to get a "feel" on the calculations. thanks for the db link!
About the potential weird taste: I am thinking that aiming for a IPA or similar hoppy should balance out the potential weak maltiness/flavors.

Latest posts

Back