Gravity not adding up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
Ok so i brewed a holiday style ale with honey, black patent ginger cinnamon etc. og was supposed to be between 1.054-1.060 i added about 6 oz of pear nector during my boil and i remember the og when i measured prior to pitching yeast being at about 1.050 not that far off. the fg is supposed to be between 1.018 and 1.026 and i ended up with 1.010.. any chance that small amount of pear nector had that large of an influence on fg or does everybody just think i measured the sg wrong the first time?

6.6 LBS GOLD MALT EXTRACT
1LB HONEY
1/2 LB 60l CRYSTAL
2OZ BLACK PATENT
2OZ CASCADE HOPS
1/2 OZ FUGGLE FINISHING HOPS
1 OZ GINGER
1/2 OZ CINNIMON
6OZ PEAR NECTOR (I ADDED)

USED WHITLE LABS LIQUID YEAST

Your intial reading was probably (almost certainly) wrong. No biggie - for extract batches, it's better to just calculate the OG and measure the FG.

The pear nectar wouldn't change much - a point or two at most.

With a pound of simple sugar (honey) in there, your FG seems about right. At any rate, it is what it is. Predicting the FG is a lot of guesswork, involving yeast, temperature, phase of the moon, and other variables. Bound to be inaccurate. On the plus side, you have beer! Enjoy!

Who says this is supposed to finish at 1.018-1.026? The OG is only 1.050, and more than that, you have a large portion of simple sugars in the form of honey and nectar, which will completely ferment out and thin out the FG. Most yeast attenuation is about 70%, so if the recipe didn't have simple sugars, I would expect the FG to be about 30/100 * 50 points = 15 points (1.015). So, with the addition of honey and nectar, 1.010 seems perfectly normal.

Latest posts

Back