Gravity just keeps going down when measured with Tilt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marckovach

Reaction score
So I got a Tilt hydrometer, which is great. But what I have noticed is a lot of times when I get the 3rd consecutive gravity reading, when I check the gravity on day 4, when I would rack it, it drops another point. I usually brew with the mentality that it does not pay to rush things, so I usually just wait it out. However, this has happened the past 3 brews. As a side note, they have all turned out to be great tasting beers. My question is it safe to rack if 3 days of readings are the same, even if it drops another point on day 4? Anyone else experience this? Thanks!

So I got a Tilt hydrometer, which is great. But what I have noticed is a lot of times when I get the 3rd consecutive gravity reading, when I check the gravity on day 4, when I would rack it, it drops another point. I usually brew with the mentality that it does not pay to rush things, so I usually just wait it out. However, this has happened the past 3 brews. As a side note, they have all turned out to be great tasting beers. My question is it safe to rack if 3 days of readings are the same, even if it drops another point on day 4? Anyone else experience this? Thanks!

I'm sure it's fine to rack. I haven't had my tilt long enough to have experienced what you describe, but I fully expect to since the same thing has happens to me using a refractometer. I've even had the brix go UP a bit on that last check. Who knows why.

Also, since the tilt is digital, it didn't even necessarily go down a point...could have gone from 1.0106 to 1.0104, which could result in the reading going from 1.011 to 1.010, for example. It could also mean the gravity really went down almost 2 points, but just saying with a digital readout you don't know what to make of what seems like a 1 point change. Thankfully, though, 1 point changes can pretty safely be chalked up to measurement error when other info contradicts it, like you getting 3 days of consistent readings. I'd also chalk up the 3 times in a row to coincidence. ...unless of course you move the fermenter after your day 3 reading in anticipation of racking on day 4, and that's causing a small fluctuation in the reading.

How long are you waiting before you are looking at these gravity measurements. Are you racking the beer 4 days after pitching the yeast? If so, the beer is not ready for any racking. If you are doing a secondary, there is no real reason to do so.
Sometimes it takes yeast longer to fully ferment a beer. I have also read that the Tilt will vary a bit.

Floating trub under/around the tilt as well as krausen on top of the devise can impact accuracy..... that is at least my experience with my tilt.

I’m not sure why you are racking so quickly, but once fermentation ends, your Tilt readings should be very stable. Are you monitoring via software or just looking at the numbers on your device it is connected to?

He's not racking on day 4 post pitch. He's saying after fermentation seems to end and he gets 3 consecutive days of stable readings, sometimes on the 4th day(e.g. the day after the 3 consecutive stable readings) it moves slightly. Common sense would tell you he can't be talking actual day 4 post pitch, because how could he get stable readings on days 1-3 of fermentation, unless fermentation never started...

He's not racking on day 4 post pitch....Common sense would tell you he can't be talking actual day 4 post pitch

Common sense varies with experience so I try to read most posts at face value without making assumptions. That said, I too thought OP was racking after four days. If Vhops1 is correct, then they, along with the others, have reasonable explanations.

How long are you waiting before you are looking at these gravity measurements. Are you racking the beer 4 days after pitching the yeast? If so, the beer is not ready for any racking. If you are doing a secondary, there is no real reason to do so.
Sometimes it takes yeast longer to fully ferment a beer. I have also read that the Tilt will vary a bit.

I went a total of 26 days. After about two weeks I got a reading of 1.012 for three days. Went to take another reading before racking and it was at 1.011. Same thing at 1.010, then 1.009. Finally I just racked.

I wanted to rack it to a secondary to dry hop. Not necessary, but it is my favorite primary and wanted to brew the same day.

I’m not sure why you are racking so quickly, but once fermentation ends, your Tilt readings should be very stable. Are you monitoring via software or just looking at the numbers on your device it is connected to?

Using the latest app. It is relatively stable. I was going for the whole 3 days of the same reading and fermentation is complete. Just seems that if I wait 4 days it drops another .001. I currently have a Extra Foreign Stout on draft and experienced the same thing. I finally got consistent readings for 5 days and kegged it. It turned out amazing. I am just questioning if 3 days reading are enough?

I went a total of 26 days. After about two weeks I got a reading of 1.012 for three days. Went to take another reading before racking and it was at 1.011. Same thing at 1.010, then 1.009. Finally I just racked.

I wanted to rack it to a secondary to dry hop. Not necessary, but it is my favorite primary and wanted to brew the same day.

That sounds like continued fermentation to me, but it could just be krausen dropping or “junk” falling off the Tilt.

Back