Gravity has not moved but there's blowoff activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a Cream Ale, using US-05

Pitched yeast two weeks ago

OG was 1.048
FG at 1.011 (predicted to be 1.009)

Tilt has not changed in 3 days but every time that I open the fermentation chamber, the blowoff tube has activity. Should I wait a few more days or proceed?

Brewed a Cream Ale, using US-05

Pitched yeast two weeks ago

OG was 1.048
FG at 1.011 (predicted to be 1.009)

Tilt has not changed in 3 days but every time that I open the fermentation chamber, the blowoff tube has activity. Should I wait a few more days or proceed?

I would verify with a hydrometer and then make a decision. Fermentation technology has been known to give misreadings when covered in gunk.

You're at 77% attenuation which is within normal ranges of being done so it may be done.

I wouldn't quibble over 2 points of SG.

And if that FG value is from the Tilt, then consider that it might have some crud or even bubbles clinging to it that will alter the angle it is floating. So when you do decide it's time to bottle or keg, then use a more typical lab hydrometer or clean the crud and bubbles off your Tilt and get another reading for your FG.

Bubbles very likely can be from the CO2 in the beer already. Temperature changes and any agitation can make CO2 come out of solution. I've started transferring beer into a plastic bag for bottling. With no air in them and as they warm up, they do fill with gas. Hopefully it's all CO2.

Last edited:
Back