Gravity after long time in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
I brewed a light golden ale around Thanksgiving. Life got busy and I just got around to it tonight. The beer has been on primary in the fermentation chamber around 65 degrees since then.

I would have to check the notes, but the beer was about a 1040ish OG, and now measures around 1.006 according to the hydrometer.

I don't recall that the beer was supposed to finish that low, but given that it's sat on the yeast for such a long time without being disturbed, if I took samples off the top of the fermenter without "rousing" it, is it possible that the gravity at the top would be different than that at the bottom?

I tasted the beer and it didn't really taste like much of anything, but it was non carbonated and at about 60 degrees. It was not sour, but it didn't have a ton of flavor. (I have been on a "big beer" kick lately, so my palate is somewhat accustomed to huge dark beers..)

Otherwise, I think this beer finished a little dryer than I thought. I went ahead and dry hopped it as planned, we'll see how it goes.

Specific gravity will be uniform throughout the fermentor. Quite often attenuation for a yeast in mid to low gravity beers will be greater than the ranges posted on the manufacturer's site.

You will most likely have a very good beer in the bottle in a few weeks.

Back