Grapefruit IPA results (1st GF batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mergs

Reaction score
I did this recipe back in early march and its in the keg about 2 weeks now.

http://ghostfishbrewing.com/ghostfishblog/gfhomebrewing-grapefruit-ipa/

All in all I am pretty happy with the result. Its tastes like a solid IPA and I'm thinking that its going to be a good basis for adaptation and experimentation into some variations. I just wanted to share with others that might try this and also use this for my own reference for later. If you see anything you can point out or would like to comment, I welcome any feedback that can help me.

I had some trip-ups during this brewing process. I've done about 15 or so barley based batches but this was my first experience with GF recipes. Some observations on brew day, and during racking, kegging, etc:

- I hadn't worked with weight based (non-barley) ingredients before so measuring out the buckwheat honey and sorghum was kind of comical. I got some good feedback on that in a separate thread I started a few weeks ago. Next time will be smoother and less messy for sure. Someone mentioned weighing goop (honey/sorghum syrup/etc) in a Pyrex measuring cup (using the tare on the scale of course) then rather than trying to scrape out the contents, simple dropping it into the boil and fishing it out later. unless someone tells me there's an issue, I may try that to get an accurate amount of "goop" into my wort.

- I altered the recipe as follows: I used 1# maltodextrine and the zest of an entire grapefruit. I think the former was OK, there's a nice mouth feel, but even though I love the grapefruit POP this beer has, I can recognize that I may have gone overboard and next time will do the 1/2 grapefruit as Igliashon specified. after 2 weeks in the keg, the grapefruit zest and hops eliminate about 75% of the sorghum twang I detected in the 70 degree wort and its even improved a bit since last week when I first kegged it.

- my gravity came out higher than the recipe (1.065 vs 1.057). i think that's due to my comical weighing of honey and sorghum, and candi syrup.

- i proofed my dry yeast as the recipe states and it looked active. however, after about 36 hours I saw very little activity in the bucket, so I sanitized a spoon and "gently stirred" (it was barely a stir) the wort from the bottom (i.e. no whirlpool on top to minimize oxygen introduction). within 6-12 hours i had a decent krausen going so I was relieved. I don't know if the gentle stir helped or it was going to ramp up anyway. i did a nice dump and aggressive stir of cooled from kettle to primary but i may try much more stirring next time.

- racking to secondary went pretty smooth but I had to use a sanitized hop sock over the racking cane to stand a chance of getting out wort through all the trub. The recipe mentioned this and it helped stave off problems I would have no doubt would've had.

- I have skipped secondary in the past on lots of batches but this batch really did need the benefit of a secondary to clear the sediment out a bit. I was also not hitting my final gravity and I got a few more points (4-5 points I memory serves) by the movement from primary to secondary.

- I missed my final gravity by quite a bit: 1.022 +-1 point (recipe called for 17 or lower). I fermented in primary for 10-11 days then probably another 3-4 days in a carboy, then I cold crashed it for about 1 day. Since my OG was about 65 (not 57) I just rolled with the higher FG (the drop from 65 to 22 is similar to the recipe's drop of 57 to 17). I'm not sure if there's anything I could have done better to get below 1.022-I was there for 3-4 days.

Experience tells me to let this beer sit in the keg 1-2 months and a lot of the small defects will age out so that's what I'm trying to do: I'm only taking small samples over the next few weeks and noting any differences as it ages. I'm hoping the grapefruit mellows a little and the sorghum twang disappears. We shall see! :)

You are right about aging the beer, I find 2 or 3 months in the bottle (keg) is the best way to combat sorghums off flavors (other than not using sorghum).

Thanks fellas.

Yeah, its mellowed significantly after 2-2.5 weeks in the keg. Poured one last night and I must say its a damn fine tasting beverage. I'm going to leave it alone until next week and see how it tastes again. I've made the mistake in the past of drinking the beer too soon and I'm bound and determined to not do that with this one.

I think I'll do another batch soon with the same base recipe but probably a little less grapefruit zest (I went overboard with a full grapefruit), and maybe change up the hop bill a little.

I am also attempting to harvest a strain of yeast from a glutened beer called Heady Topper from alchemist (strain is Conan) and may add that in place of S-05 if I can get the cell count high enough.

I may also adjust the recipe upwards to 5.5 gallons because I lost a lot of wort due to racking off fat trub. I think if i was lucky i got 4.5 gals in my keg, maybe closer to 4, so to go to all that work for 4 gallons isn't ideal, I want a full(er) keg! :mug:

Yup, sounds like typical sorghum trub.

Conan sounds like an amazing yeast. Make sure you wash it thoroughly. It's also available from Gigayeast and Yeast bay I believe. I hear it has some great wheat, lager, and clean west coast characteristcs.

I was considering cold fermenting US-05 with a dab of WB-06 to semi replicate this. Yeast washing is the way to go if you have the time.

I would love to know the results of Conan in a sorghum beer. Let us know if you do it! :beer:

Yup, sounds like typical sorghum trub.

Conan sounds like an amazing yeast. Make sure you wash it thoroughly. It's also available from Gigayeast and Yeast bay I believe. I hear it has some great wheat, lager, and clean west coast characteristcs.

I was considering cold fermenting US-05 with a dab of WB-06 to semi replicate this. Yeast washing is the way to go if you have the time.

I would love to know the results of Conan in a sorghum beer. Let us know if you do it! :beer:

Thanks. Its in a mason jar now in a sorghum starter. I'd say I got maybe an 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast from the dregs of two cans of Heady Topper. Basically I chilled the dregs, and decanted off the heady (I drank it, even flat its tasty) and added in about 2 cups of sorghum wort on top. No activity yet.

This is my first attempt at this but I read up on the process. I plan to, if it ferments the sorghum wort, let it settle and chill it, decant, add more, then repeat that. I'm assuming that I can keep this process going and get a viable yeast cell count if I'm careful and diligent.

I know this won't ever be a GF beer with yeast from heady topper but I'm hoping with GF starters this will eventually wash the yeast relatively free of glutened wort. I will only use this for me and for anyone that understands that this is a VLG (very low gluten) and not "free".

My current batch is Igs' recipe and i used safale us-05 so its truly GF.

Thank you for that source of Conan yeast. If that doesn't work I can always try that as a fallback.:mug:

You going to be entering a beer in the Battle of the Homebrews in Post Falls Mergs?

You going to be entering a beer in the Battle of the Homebrews in Post Falls Mergs?

That would be fun, but I've already disqualified myself! :)

2. Your craft MUST BE bottled or in a keg upon entry into the competition. You **must have at least 5 gallons** to compete.

I'm down to maybe 4 gals now. :mug:

Trust me. No one will check. Also, I doubt you will get through 5 gallons of beer. In my last "people's choice" competition I went thought about 2.5-3 gallons.

I say... enter!

Just an update on the beer. I have what feels like 1.5 - 2 gals left in the keg and the beer has conditioned well. I was taking a beer a week up until last week and I'm now on a beer a night schedule... because its now tasting great!

Sorghum twang is there but its dropped off and mellowed a lot. its now tastes more intermingled or maybe hidden is better word by the hops.

the only downside is that the hop profile doesn't taste quite as fresh as 2-3 weeks ago but all in all this is a really good beer.

maybe I should have entered this after all last weekend :) (but then I'd have none left for me!)

next up, a Tweason'ale clone for my wife. its too sweet and thin for me but she had one a local GF pizza joint a while back and she loved it and challenged me to clone it. working on the recipe in brewtoad now and will post up here for comments.

Latest posts

Back