Grape must addition to beer wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoozeMedic

Reaction score
If I wanted to add crushed grapes and juice from my vines to a beer in the fermenter, how do I avoid infection? Sulfite the must 24 hours before mixing with the wort and then pitch?

I was thinking for a barley-wine/wine hybrid I could maybe fermenting the wort to 90% again with ale yeast, cold crash and filter with a 1 micron filter to knock down the ale yeast count, bring up to pitching temp and then add an aggressive, resilient wine yeast like K1-V1116.

But that doesn't help me with wanting to make, say, a grape must IPA or saison. I think potassium metabisulfute might be the only solution?

Thoughts/experiences? Looking for a homebrew option that would also work on the commercial scale

Yes, sulfite the juice, let sit for 24hrs in a foil-covered container, then add to the fermenter.

I don't think you have to fuss with the beer yeast too much, just cold crash rack onto the grape juice, then add a "killer positive" wine strain (something other than D47, 71B or RC212) at a relatively cool temperature (~50F) and the wine yeast should take over, especially if you get it active in a small starter first. I would suggest a yeast with more character than 1116, perhaps QA23, R4600, Cotes Des Blancs, or other aromatic yeasts to maximize the flavor contribution of your grape juice. Montrachet is a lackluster choice based on my experience with grape must in cider.

An important consideration is whether the grape juice will thin out your beer. I have added wine grape concentrate to beers on multiple occasions, about 1L concentrate for 5 gal of beer and that seems to work well for light grape flavor (e.g., chardonnay grape saison). However, adding straight grape juice will thin the mouthfeel of the beer if you add the amount necessary to impart flavor, unless you plan ahead and make the beer maltier from the start.

However, you can freeze-concentrate your grape juice before adding it, then add in 2-4x concentrated grape juice for maximum flavor effect and minimal effect on the body of the beer.

A light-colored saison or other Belgian beer is a good starting point. Belgian yeast esters and phenols play nicely with grape must from my experience.

Good luck!

Back