grape concentrate in pyment??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwbrewer

Reaction score
After searching through the recipes and loads of the mead forum and not finding the answer to my query, i just figured i'd ask and see if anyone has any experience with this who could chime in. I was wanting to start a new mead, and as the honey i have is pretty lite and mellow, figured a melomel or pyment might be in order. Finally to my point, has anyone made a pyment using welch's frozen grape concentrate or something similar? And if so how much concentrate did you use per gallon and how did it turn out? I know there are plenty of popular wine recipes using similar concentrates, i just hadn't seen any pyments with em.Any experience or feedback is appreciated, I'm not at all new to brewing, but am still pretty green when it comes to meads and wines in general. Thanks!

Yeah the only pyment recipes i came across used grapes or some of that wine grape concentrate like your merlot... did yours turn out like a mead with grape/wine notes or more of a wine with honey/mead notes? This all crossed my mind when i noticed the 3 cans of welch's concentrate in my freezer and was going thru what i could make with it, and a pyment experiment sounded better than making a small batch of some plain ol red table wine with it

when I first bottled it, it was very sweet mead. now it's dried a bit and has a little more wine character to it. absolutely no carbonation, but I did toy with the idea for a few bottles.

I say give it a shot! if it doesn't turn out as good as you hoped, you can always cook with it!

Wow, i just realized I'm an idiot. I did all that reading and searching on the forum cause i didn't see a pyment made with a grape juice concentrate, but i just realized that Joe's Quick Grape Mead in the recipe forum is pretty much just that except he uses regular welches bottled grape juice. But reconstituted concentrate is the same damn thing as the bottled juice. Oops...well i will be starting a 1 gal batch of this sometime in the next 24 hrs

For anybody who cares i finally started a gallon size test batch of this yesterday. Using approx. 2.5 lbs of a buddy's honey and 1x12 oz concord concentrate it should finish as a semi-sweet pyment i figure. Its my first pyment, and i can't wait to give it a taste. i really had the urge to make a bigger batch, but luckily i was working with a limited honey supply for now, so i can see how it is before i decide if its worth making again. If it turns out alrite i will certainly post a recipe in case anyone else wants to give it a go, but it smells and looks great so far

Back