Grains to get - New to All Grain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalsh27

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am just about to make the leap from extract and partial-mash brewing to all-grain. I am ordering (no good brew shop close to me) a new all-in-one system and a few kegs and I figured I would get some grains and hops as well with the order as shipping here to Newfoundland costs your first born child! So aside from a sack of Cdn 2-row, which other grains should I consider getting with this and how much of each? I like making American Ales and would like to try a few British/Irish Ales/Stouts/Porters. Probably average a batch every 2-3 weeks. I realize grains have a shelf life but shipping here is really expensive so probably only buying grains twice a year online. Would also like to try a few lighter American Lagers as well but I have never done a lager yet and a bit intimidated.

Thanks for any input in advance!
Cheers.

I realize grains have a shelf life but shipping here is really expensive so probably only buying grains twice a year online. Would also like to try a few lighter American Lagers as well but I have never done a lager yet and a bit intimidated.

Whole grains can be stored where it is dry for quite some time, as in years. Keep the bags tightly closed to keep insects out. I have used pale malt that was 2 years old and it worked fine.

I keep my base grains in 5 gal buckets with a gamma lid. My specialty grains, I actually use cereal containers.
As far as grains to get, I would look at the receipes that you are thinking of brewing, and go from there. I only brew a few different styles, so my specialty grains are just a few, I usually get those in 5lb bags.
With shopping online for your grains, dont just look at the cost Of th3 grains, but also the shipping. My base malts I get In 10 pound bags, just because it’s cheaper with free shipping.

I will have to suggest into getting a mill.

As @Redpappy wrote about storing grains, this is very important. Also, DO NOT get pre-milled grains (as they don't last as long).

How to know when grain has past it's "due date"? Ever ate a cracker that was "old"? This, at least to me, gives the taste we don't want in our malt.

I didn't see, I may have missed, in the OP, but if going to all grain brewing, invest in a good quality malt mill.

Time to begin a "Newfoundland Local Grain Buy". That's where you really save.

If not, are there any breweries nearby, reasonibily writing, you can, perhaps, convince to let you purchase with them at wholesale. Sounds impossible, but nothing in life is impossible, believe me.

whole grains will last for years when properly stored.

You'll need base malts (pick 2-4 types):
2 row
Pale ale
Pilsner
Maris Otter
Vienna
Munich

Crystal malts (take your pick)
C10 - C60

Rosted grains (pick 2-3):
Roasted Barley
Chocolate malt
Midnight wheat
Carafa 1-3
Black prinz

Sprecialty malts (maybe take a chance on something?)
Honey malt
Rye malt
wheat malt
Carapils
Victory malt
Special B
There are many more....

Any flaked grains can be sourced locally just check health stores for flaked wheat/corn/rice/barley metc. Flaked oats you can find in any supermarket.

You will definitely need a mill...

Velnerj has a great list.

If you wanted to narrow is down a bit I would suggest buying the "Big 5" by the sack:
1- two row/pale ale/marris otter
2- pilsner
3- munich
4- vienna
5- wheat

5-10 pound bulk packs for the rest will last a while or by the sack will last years (stored properly).

Crystal: C-60 will probably cover almost any style. A sack might get used faster than you think if you brew a lot.

Roasted: one chocolate and one black is all you really need. Many types of chocolate and black but pretty much interchangeable. A little goes a long way so 5-10 lb packs is probably a good amount.

Me, I keep 500-800 pounds of grain on hand. I've scored some deals on malts at times so have a lot of specialty stuff on hand (not by design). It's hard to pass on sacks of Special B at $30/sack with free shipping or Extra Special, Aromatic or 135 Crystal at similar prices.

I keep my base grains in 5 gal buckets with a gamma lid. My specialty grains, I actually use cereal containers.
As far as grains to get, I would look at the receipes that you are thinking of brewing, and go from there. I only brew a few different styles, so my specialty grains are just a few, I usually get those in 5lb bags.
With shopping online for your grains, dont just look at the cost Of th3 grains, but also the shipping. My base malts I get In 10 pound bags, just because it’s cheaper with free shipping.

I will have to suggest into getting a mill.
So how many 5 gal pails to store a sack? 3 maybe?

2 buckets will hold a 50lbs sack. If you are getting 25kilo sacks from Europe u will have a little excess

Hi Everyone,

I am just about to make the leap from extract and partial-mash brewing to all-grain. I am ordering (no good brew shop close to me) a new all-in-one system and a few kegs and I figured I would get some grains and hops as well with the order as shipping here to Newfoundland costs your first born child! So aside from a sack of Cdn 2-row, which other grains should I consider getting with this and how much of each? I like making American Ales and would like to try a few British/Irish Ales/Stouts/Porters. Probably average a batch every 2-3 weeks. I realize grains have a shelf life but shipping here is really expensive so probably only buying grains twice a year online. Would also like to try a few lighter American Lagers as well but I have never done a lager yet and a bit intimidated.

Cheers.
I live in a small town in eastern Washington, a long way to anywhere. Try Yakima Valley Hops for supplies. They pelletize hops for the hop growers,
Yakima being HOP CENTERAL for the world. Their prices are great and service the best. A tip I've figured out is get 5 gal paint strainer bags for both mashing your grains and for the hops in the boil. They keeps beer clean!

Thanks for the input. This is the list I went with in the end.

CMC 2 row malt55
Maris Otter55
Vienna55
Pilsner10
Carafa 24
Carared10
Crystal/Carmel 2010
Crystal/Carmel 604
Wheat Malt10
Roasted Barley4
Victory1
Special B1
Flaked Wheat1
Flaked oats1

Hi Everyone,

Cheers.

If you intend on storing grain for awhile make sure it is in a sealed container to keep rodents out.

That's a nice inventory. How are the malts stored? Temp? I've been successful using food grade 5 gallon buckets, lids and storing at basement temps.
Store cool (or better, cold!) and dry, and preferably in closed containers!

I store cara and crystal malts in thick gallon-size freezer zipper bags, inside storage totes, in a cool and dry area.
Sacks are stored in a lower level spare bathroom that remains cool during all seasons.

Thanks for the input. This is the list I went with in the end.

CMC 2 row malt55
Maris Otter55
Vienna55
Pilsner10
Carafa 24
Carared10
Crystal/Carmel 2010
Crystal/Carmel 604
Wheat Malt10
Roasted Barley4
Victory1
Special B1
Flaked Wheat1
Flaked oats1

Additional (re)sources:
(Semi) local breweries, or brewpubs
If you have a bakery (or bakery/pizza supply) nearby you may be able to source flaked goods from them, flaked oats, wheat, possibly flaked barley and rye and others.
Oats - Supermarket "Quaker" or store generics (type: Old Fashioned, Quick, or (unflavored) Instant Oats, either will work fine).
Rice - Supermarket (plain) cheap white rice. Cook well before using in mash.
Corn - Same as rice

I hope you've got a mill...

Make your own sugar/candi syrups, it's easy and rewarding.

How's your tap water? Mineral content?

Store cool (or better, cold!) and dry, and preferably in closed containers!

I store cara and crystal malts in thick gallon-size freezer zipper bags, inside storage totes, in a cool and dry area.
Sacks are stored in a lower level spare bathroom that remains cool during all seasons.
I have a bunch of FG buckets and I am planning on getting the gamma covers for them. Can’t get gallon glass jars so looking at those square gallon grip type plastic jars for the specialty malts.

Additional (re)sources:
If you have a bakery (or bakery/pizza supply) nearby you may be able to source flaked goods from them, flaked oats, wheat, possibly flaked barley and rye and others.
Oats - Supermarket "Quaker" or store generics (type: Old Fashioned, Quick, or (unflavored) Instant Oats, either will work fine).
Corn - Same as rice

I haven’t tested my water yet. We do have hard water here. I have been using tap water run through a charcoal filter.

Should I test?

I haven’t tested my water yet. We do have hard water here. I have been using tap water run through a charcoal filter.

Should I test?
A charcoal filter does not filter out minerals. It's also easier to remove chlorine or chloramines, your water company adds for sanitized distribution, with 1/4 Campden tablet per 5 gallons, rather than trickling it through a charcoal filter. Removes within 30 seconds and at 100%.

If you know your water minerals from a yearly published report (or call your water company, Quality Control dept.), no need for an outside test. If the minerals vary much (ask them and how much) then you definitely don't need a test, since everything becomes a toss up.

If you have hard water it may be suitable for darker beers. But depending on how hard it is, for lighter beers may want to use (or "dilute" your tap water with) RO or Distilled water. If you can get it at a reasonable price (We pay around $.39 per gallon here for RO water from machines at supermarkets, Walmarts, etc., bring your own containers), it's not a bad alternative.
Get this free water spreadsheet: Brunwater.com. There are others.

When you brew a lot, many brewers buy a small (under-counter) RO system for their brewing (and drinking) water for around $100-150. Avoid those that need $$$ proprietary replacement filters. If you go that way check with Russ from Buckeye Hydro he's one of our sponsors.

Interesting too as I realize I need a few food grade buckets and lids for some additional grain I've accumulated.

Checking HD and Lowes, these are NOT as easy to find as in the past. I guess, with the pandemic, lots are storing food in these same buckets?

Reminds me of visiting a local Giant Food seeking chopped chilies. None. I go to anthoer grocery store. None. I try a 3rd grocery store. None. Jump ahead to December 24, 2020. I try again. Still none. I guess, unknown to me, chopped green chilies are, apparently, a cure for covid and this is why they are always out.

Additional (re)sources:
Corn - Same as rice

@IslandLizard Great input! I had not considered the bakery/pizza supply.

Interesting too as I realize I need a few food grade buckets and lids for some additional grain I've accumulated.

Checking HD and Lowes, these are NOT as easy to find as in the past. I guess, with the pandemic, lots are storing food in these same buckets?

Reminds me of visiting a local Giant Food seeking chopped chilies. None. I go to anthoer grocery store. None. I try a 3rd grocery store. None. Jump ahead to December 24, 2020. I try again. Still none. I guess, unknown to me, chopped green chilies are, apparently, a cure for covid and this is why they are always out.

have you tried orderI got online And picking up at a store?

Did you try Uline? Usually great prices and availability for buckets and lids.

Not surprised the gamma lids are in short supply.

You can just use the standard included (free) bucket lids. they should have a big rubber o-ring in the lid.

The only benefit of the gamma lids is they are easy to open/close if you are in them all the time.

Get a bucket opener. It's a big plastic "F" looking thing. Allows you to easily pry the tight lid off. Just re-seal with a rubber mallet.

Back