Grainfather recipe? - beersmith or grainfather brewing calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorobrew

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether to use beer smith or the grainfather brewing calculator for figuring out mash water (vol & temp) and sparge water (vol & temp). There is a bit of a discrepancy.

This is going to be metric, sorry...

For my recipe, which has a 6.05 kg grain bill for a 22Liter batch (60 min mash - 10 min mash out- and 90 min boil):

Brewsmith calculates, Mash water-22.7 L of water at 68C, and sparge water 19.51L at 75.6C

Where as the grainfather brewing calculator says: Mash water 19.5L (no temp given, but most grainfather recipes are 68C) and Sparge water 13.5L (again, no temp given, but usually 75).

Which calculation should I use?? Does one of the calculations look way off? any advice would be much appreciated!
:mug:

You should use the Grainfather calculator for water. I used only beersmith for calculations at first for GF and the OG and the amount of beer was way off, after switching to GF calculator it's pretty much spot on.

I use Beersmith to formulate my recipe, but I use the formula in the user manual to calculate water volumes. Using the Grainfather equipment profile with efficiency set at 80%works fine for recipe formulation.

Back