Grainfather - How far can I pump my wort post-chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of upgrading my buckets to a chronical. I currently brew in the kitchen and ferment in our bonus room which is the next room over but up a small curved staircase. I am able to carry a full bucket of wort, but I really wouldn't want to carry a full chronical up the stairs.

Would the pump on the grainfather accommodate the distance (20ish feet) and rise in elevation (maybe about 8ft vertically)? I know I would have to add a length of silicon tubing to get the distance, I just don't want to splurge on the chronical if this is not doable.

The grainfather replacement pumps for sale I can find online say that they have a maximum head of 1.5m/2.1m (I assume under different power conditions). That's not enough to get you up 8 feet.

What you could do is get a second pump - a 24V little tan pump would be fine - to get the necessary head to get to the vessel.

I just replaced the tubing on my Grainfather CFC with some of the 5/16 silicon tubing and a blichman riptide pump. I now can whirlpool, add hops or what now, and rack to my chronicals without issue. The extra power does well.

I just replaced the tubing on my Grainfather CFC with some of the 5/16 silicon tubing and a blichman riptide pump. I now can whirlpool, add hops or what now, and rack to my chronicals without issue. The extra power does well.
Can you send some pics and details on parts. Thinking of doing same. First post I’ve seen from anyone who replaced the stock pump with anything else.

Sure can. I just upgraded to cam lock connections, I'll be installing those this week and I'll get you some photos.

Fairly simple though, I removed the stock pump from the stainless tubes, fitted the 5/16 tubing on to those tubes and secured with a worm clamp back to the pump.

I could have though, in hindsight, used 1/2" tubing from the pump to the grainfather with the worm clamps, and just saved the 5/16 for extending the CFC tubing. but it's OK. Pics will come shortly.

IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg

Pretty simple as you can see. There is also the c14 converter so the pump is still controlled from the box.

A little crude now. But it works.

Let me get a shot of the full setup next.

I pump about 12 feet and go across an airstone with O2 at .5 l/m. It's a 2 foot rise.

View attachment 559717View attachment 559718

Pretty simple as you can see. There is also the c14 converter so the pump is still controlled from the box.

A little crude now. But it works.

Let me get a shot of the full setup next.

I'm ordering a riptide to attempt the upgrade myself and when I search for "c14 converter" on Amazon, many different results as re returned. Most of which appear to be clover leaf to a standard female kettle adapter.

If you're still about, would you mind confirming which type you use? Or could you provide a photo please?

I could wait until the pump arrives and figure it out, but then I'd have to wait to do the conversion.

Thank you if you get back to me and thank you anyway, because I was finding the Grainfather pump an real frustration!!!

Regards,

Stuart

Back