Grainfather for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is using the Grainfather (or Robobrew) for BIAB. I would like to be able to brew inside, but I love the ease and predictability of BIAB and not sparging.

I realize there are other ways to BIAB indoors, but I am specifically interested in the possibility of using a Grainfather/Robobrew to do so. My research has only found people stuck with sparging, which is not my goal.

I know there is enough room for the grain amount for recipes types I brew(5.5 % alcohol beers) but I am unsure of the water amounts needed for a BIAB, full water volume, no sparge brew day. I want to end up with 5.5 gallons into the fermentor.

Is anyone here using either of these set ups as a BIAB with NO SPARGE successfully? I would be most happy to hear how it works out.

If it can't be done in this way, I will have explore the other ways people are doing indoor BIAB, but for now, this is where my tunnel vision is pointed.

Thanks for any help!!!

That will not work on the GF. Once i forgot to take out my 3 gallons of sparge and it would have overflowed. I got about 6 pounds of grain in and it was reaching capacity. Had to remove the offending 3 gallons.
Sparging isn't a big deal, i usually pour a 1/2 gallon at a time. It takes about 15 minutes to drain and another 15-30 minutes to get to boil temp. I understand what you are trying to accomplish and i did BIAB and still do, but you really need at least a 10 gallon kettle or 16 gallon like i have to do full volume mash.

Are you stuck on making only 5 gallon batches? There are much cheaper ways to make all grain beers than the Grainfather. I make 2 1/2 gallon batches BIAB on my kitchen range. You can get another kitchen range pretty cheap if you want to brew in another place because the older, non-glass top ones are showing up on Craigslist as people upgrade?? to the glass top ones.

Back