Grainbed...How do you know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akira7799

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out exactly how to find the grainbed if you mash with a volume closer to 2.0 quarts per pound?

As some might recall, I had too much water in the mash for my first AG. And it looked like the water was 1" above the grainbed, but I was wrong.

It there a good way to test or realize exactly where the grainbed starts and the grains aren't just floating a bit above the grainbed?

Thanks,
Dave

Something like an old fashioned potato masher might be useful. I'm talking about the kind with a perforated steel plate set flat across the end and a handle. The plate would bypass the floaties and sit on top of the grain bed. You could mark the handle at one inch intervals.

Try going by thickness of the mash - it should be the same as the porridge Grandma used to make. It should not be so thin that you have to worry about water floating on top or underneath.

not quit sure i understand the question. are you mixing the grains and mash water well when you introduce one to the other? like mikey said, it should look like a thick oatmeal mix for the mash and saccharification rest of 60 min or so. 1.33 qts h2o per pound ofgrain is a good starting point.

once you mix the grains and mash water, there should be no "levels". if your talking about once you start your sparge, it will be clear where the grain bed is. the sparge water will (should be) about 1-1.5" above the grain bed. you'll have some grain floating on top, but not near enough to obstruct your view of the grain bed.

Back