Grain steeping..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markdmb

Reaction score
Just made a brewers best witbier and was wondering if it is ok to steep the grains with more water than suggested? I steeped 2 lbs of grain in about 4 gallons of water. Also, is it a good idea to hydrate the yeast before I pitch? (Safbrew wb-06)

Steep away. The volumes are important for AG, but it doesn't really matter for steeping.

Hydrating the yeast is a good idea. You've have more yeast survive that way.

The water volume in steeping doesn't matter as much as when mashing. But the temp of the steep does matter. 150-160F is a good range for steeping 30 minutes. And I like to hydrate dry yeast as well. You get more viable cells to pitch that way.

Thanks guys, I did maintain 150-152 throughout the steep. And I will hydrate my yeast. Currently in the boil so I have time!

I'm not sure temperatures are really that critical. All you are trying to do is dissolve sugars off the grains into the water. The hotter the better.

Yes, too high supposedly extracts tannins, but can you really notice them; it's only a half pound or so in a 5 gallon batch.

I know it is not the best practice (today), but Dave Line (Brewing Beers like those you buy), said to leave the steeping grains in for the whole boil. I'm guessing it didn't make too much difference.

I agree, don't boil the grains, but I see no reason to be anal about what temperature to steep at. I usually partial mash, but when I do steep, I add the grains at the start (cold), add heat to bring the water to a boil, and remove them when the temperature gets to about 170 F.

Back