Grain sediment/flour at bottom of kettle and hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
i use the mill at the LHBS, only mill once. use a wilserbag for BIAB. and i always seem to have a ton of flour at the bottom of the kettle.

wondering if this is bad in relation to hop usage/utilization? i have nothing to compare to as i went straight to BIAB at home to develop recipes, never used a traditional 2 or 3 vessel at home.

anybody who's done both (BIAB vs multi-vessel) have experience here? i always feel like i never get enough hop presence, not going heavy in the kettle, not big long hopstands/whirlpools, etc.

the other day i had to switch wort from one kettle to another, and there was a ton of flour in there. makes me wonder if that is binding up the hop oils. i mean, oil and water dont really want to mix, but you can definitely mix flour and oil together. granted this is happening in a few gallons of sugar water in a kettle at extremely high temps, but still..... makes me wonder.

By "a ton of flour", I do have sediment in my kettle, but I'm one of those types that dumps it all into my fermenter, as that's not gonna really have much of an impact at all on my finished product.

I haven't had any problems with it affecting my hops. I even use a homemade hop spider. What is your last recipe that you're thinking didn't impart enough flavoring/bittering/aroma from your hops?

hell, all of them. in fairness, i do have to state that i mostly brew lagers, which are notorious for pulling out hop oils. but even the few ales i make, or brett beers seem to have the same issue.

i guess my question is from more of a biochem aspect- what are the interactions between flour/protein solids and hop oils in theory? is it the same in a kettle as it would be if you mixed them dry?

i brewed yesterday and just tossed most of trub into the fermenter, so if that makes a difference i'll know in a few weeks. but even in the fermenter, the flour is still mixed in the hops, so the question still remains to be answered.

is the flour bad for hop extraction?

Back