Grain ratios in stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McAle

Reaction score
I've noticed most of the dry stout recipes in the recipe archive call for nearly twice the amount of flaked barley to roasted barley. Is there a reason for this or is just brewer preference?

Even simpler than diastatic power is the fact that roasted barley is some strong stuff. Any more than that and it'd completely overpower the beer.

A lot of people seem to try to get crazy with a dry stout but the classic ratio (70% pale malt, 20% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley) yields a perfect beer, in my opinion.

You could make a dry stout without any flaked barley. Think what that would do to your ratios.

The ratio of flaked barley to roasted barley really has nothing to do with anything. The amount of roasted barley determines the color and flavor and since roasted barley is strongly flavored, we want only a relatively small amount of it or its flavor overpowers everything else in the beer. The flaked barley is to promote head production and retention. It could probably be replaced with flaked wheat. What would that do to the ratio of roasted barley to flaked barley?

Good point. In fact, the flaked barley is routinely replaced or amended with flaked oats.

I kind of think of it like this: Base malts are the fuel for the yeast and provide the backbone of the beer. Adjuncts (rice, corn, oats, straight sugars, etc.) are used to modify the body and/or mouthfeel. And specialty malts like roasted barley or crystal malts are kind of like the spices of the malt world - used in small proportions to add desired overtones to the malt profile.

I was just wondering if there was some specific correlation between those two grains. But I guess not really. Thanks for the replies everyone - I appreciate it.

Back