Grain mill to make flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvjackson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm maybe getting into bread baking a little and am wondering if anyone has used a grain mill to make flour for baking?

I have an adjustable 3-roller mill so I could try to adjust it finer, I just don't know if it's going to be appropriate for baking.

Anyone have any experience?

I use our Mr Coffee burr grinder to grind small amounts of dried spent grains into flour on the esspresso setting. Idk about larger amounts than a cup or two though.

Yeah I could definitely use the grain mill or a coffee grinder to do small amounts of grain as a specialty addition to bread, but I really want to know if it's possible use a home-brew grain mill to work as the primary flour. I don't know a ton about flour production but my understanding is that the development and alignment of gluten have somewhat particular requirements.

This is only a budding hobby for me and not worth buying any new equipment for, just was curious if anyone else had done it.

Glad it's working out for you! I think the finest espresso setting gets the right grind for spent grain additions. Now if my floating thermometer wouldn't have broken the top off in my stout mash,I could've gotten some nice pumpernickle-like burger buns outta them.
And if you set the grain mill at maybe .020-.025" or so,it might grind the wheat fine enough for flour.

Back