Grain mill for beer and flour....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhammers91

Reaction score
I am looking for a mill that will crack my grain for brewing, but I want it to also be able to grind wheat into homemade flour. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? I know it will probably b kinda expensive, but I'm going half and half in on the price with a friend who want to grind wheat for flour...

Thanks!

It's really two different machines with two different designs. There is nothing I've ever heard of that will do both jobs well. You will be the one with the severest compromise as chunks of grain can't be substituted for flour. A good quality roller mill for brewing can be had for ~$130.

A Corona mill would likely work for both, but you would probably still need to sift the flour to remove large husks, etc. Also when milling flour you might have to run it through twice. They only run about $20-$30...

+1 on the corona mill, they are really cheap (variations of them on ebay). I use one for my beer, does the job better than my LHBS does for a fine BIAB crush, and as noted above will work for making flour, not that I've tried or plan to.

A corona mill is a corn grinder for making corn meal, and not really designed to make flour (but happens to crush barley well for brewing IMHO). I believe there was a thread about this and the dual purpose mill was like $700!!!

IMHO better to have two mills, as I don't believe one exists at a reasonable price to do both jobs well! Even at $700, it appeared doubtful that the dual purpose mill was intended for large batch brewing.

I use a Corona. I'm fairly certain it will do the job regardless of whether it was designed to or not. I get a lot of flour in my grist, and if I tightened it up I'd get even more. Just my opinion.

I decided to just go with a corona mill from discount Tommy's. figured for the price, might as well give it a shot and go from there I guess... Hopefully the one I get fits together good enough to function... Heard some scary stories...

I seem to remember seeing flour stones for the corona mill. Not sure where or if it was an old add showing what once existed.

I seem to remember seeing flour stones for the corona mill. Not sure where or if it was an old add showing what once existed.

Ditto. You can get stones for the corona mill. Looks like they only cost about as much as 2 corona mills. ;)

I use the Barley Crusher grain mill set at .039" (factory setting) to crush my grains & it works perfectly for pb/pm biab. I dry the spent grains on cookie sheets in a 200F oven over several hours,turning the grains once an hour to evenly dry them. If you don't it'll take longer. I then use a Mr Coffee burr grinder on the espresso setting to get a nice medium fine flour out of my dried spent grains. These two are the best way to accomplish both tasks For brewing then for baking. Combining them def wouldn't be cheap & certainly a comprimise of bothe needs. I got the Mr Coffee grinder at Walmart for $39. It's about the size of a blender,with a small carraf on top to hold the beans. Or in this case,dried spent grains. Guess I could do a video showing what it looks like & how it works. But being a "Burr" type grinder,like a grain mill rather than the cheap blade type,way finer grinds can be had with it's 18 different settings. Now I can grind any fresh coffee I want after grinding spent grains to make pretzel buns,bagels,bread,& many other tasty items. Well worth $39 for a real dual purpose machine. Even comes with a cleaning brush that's mounyed in one of the parts.

This is a super old thread, but I have some experience that contradicts the conventional wisdom.

TL;DR: Yes, it is possible.

So I recently got a flour mill in the hopes of using it for both flour and cracking malt for beer. The one I got is the Hawos Billy 100, but I expect it would work with a lot of them.

Out of the box, a flour mill at the most coarse setting will likely be just too fine for beer. It rips up the hulls and makes it about 50/50 cracked grain to flour. What I had to do was simply remove the hopper and the top part of the housing of the mill, and where the lever to open and close the milling stones would normally stop, i just take out the lever and manually move it past the coarsest setting.

The outcome from two brews so far is that yes, there’s slightly more flour. But the hulls remain intact, and my sparge was maybe a little slower but it wasn’t stuck. efficiency was 80%.
The only issue is that I had two Litres more losses than normal, likely because the finer crack and the amount of flour held more water in the sparge.

After the boil there was no scorching, so again I don’t think there was too much flour. for my first batch my efficiency was way higher, but it turned out to be because of the losses during the sparge, but 80% is still great in my books.

Fyi i’m using a grainfather for my brews. I don’t know about BIAB or conventional mash tun brewing.

So i’m going to continue to use the flour mill for my beers. It’s super stylish, the wife loves it, enough so that it has a place on the counter rather than being tucked back into the closet.

This is a super old thread, but I have some experience that contradicts the conventional wisdom.

no problem, that's how found this forum....."Happiness is homemalting", and after that, google wouldn't let me leave....

personaly i use a wondermill for bean flour, and a two roller mill for my malt.....you didn't say how much it cost?

(my first statment is all i actually had to say, ;))

4455434E-0F4C-4F5F-9675-3C30F3F5E2FD.jpeg
It cost a ****ing ton. Ha.
Normally $550, got it for $450 (Canadian).

It’s pretty though.

hmm, so for my $200 malt mill, and my $200 wondermill, i could have had something thast looks like it still runs on horse power.... ;)

i can just see the horse moving the big grinding stone looking at it.. :D

Yes. lol.

The benefit is that it’s just one unit. We live in a small suite without a garage or anything, just a closet to store brew supplies and equipment. Having one unit that can sit out on the counter makes a huge difference.

Update: I've made half a dozen batches of beer now, and really honed in on a process that works well.

My crush is quite course on the mill settings, but I still end up with some torn husks, and quite a lot of flour. My first couple batches had very slow sparges and I had to stir a bit during the mash to avoid dough balls. With those ones my efficiency was low, around 75%.

With the last few batches I added a significant amount of rice hulls, and it made a world of difference, and compensates for the amount of floor. The batch I just did had 95% efficiency.

a claim like that has to be backed up.....what was the volume into the fermenter, and recipe? ;)

It's a batch of Flanders Red, very similar to Jamil's with some modifications. I'm using a grainfather, and going by the grainfather app efficiency calculations.

Grain Bill:
2kg pilsner
2kg munich
.9kg wheat malt
.23kg Crystal 20
.23kg Crystal 40
.23kg Aromatic
.23kg Carapils
.14kg Special B.

Water:
Mash19.84 L
Sparge10.67 L

Amount in fermentor - 20 litres (or just shy of that, so about 19.75 litres).

Measured Brix was 17, which is an OG of 1.07.

in beersmith 13lb's of malt gives me in 5.2 gallons of water 76% effec.....but that's beersmith....i measure my waist and it's 36"'s, but when i buy pants 34's are loose....vanity sizing and all that..... :mug:

Hahah. Well, it's the third batch that I've made of this same beer recently, as I'm setting up several of them to age for a few years, and the last ones were at a much lower efficiency (75-85). So either I was operating at a very low efficiency before, and the grainfather app calculations are way off, or I actually did get high efficiency this time around.

When you put that in Beersmith, is that just 13 lbs of 2-row? All of the adjuncts change the calculation.

doesn't matter....use the same calculator, you can tell if it's better or worse from batch to batch.....only reason i care about beersmith's calc...to see comparisons from batch to batch....brands of clothing are hard to stick to one though....i'd probably wear a size 28 if i wore old navy, lol

Lol. So yes, what I can say for certain is that I have increased my efficiency own by about 10-15%. If its actually up at 95% as the grainfather app suggests, I don't know for sure. Either way, the high flour content mixed with rice hulls worked out really well, and the brews that I've been making with a flour mill have been perfectly fine.

i pretty much crush mine to 40%flour, and 60% grits.......beersmith tells me i get somewhere around 88% even sometimes 90%....do you do step mashes? i found a boost from a second step at 162f for alpha-amylase......

Yes, I do 62.8 C for 20 min, 65.6 C for an hour, then mash out at 75 for 10 min.

i'm still trying to find guinea pigs to find out if 162 helps or not...try holding it at 71.6c for like 15-20 minutes......? cut the time off your 150f step, beta works fast....

I'll give it a go on the next batch. I'm going to do one more of the same recipe, so it should be a good test. Although I might go even a little more fine on the crush with the next one, see if I can up the efficiency even more - which likely isn't actually at 95. I put it into a few different calculators and they come up around 80. Not sure why the grainfather app is so far off.

Not sure why the grainfather app is so far off.

i did mention 'old navy' clothing didn't i? :D

and honestly 80% is respectable....before i started steping my mash i got about 83%, but with the step at 162f, it went to 88% or so.....not huge, but noticeable....(not that i'm sure beersmith ain't lyin' to me too! :mug:)

Grainfather would actually have a vested interested in convincing people that their system produced a very high efficiency brew. So maybe their calculator fudges the numbers. Or maybe its just because they're Australian and playing some Knivesy Spoonsy with our calculations. Either way, I'm happy with an 8.5% beer. :drunk:(in about two or three years from now, that is...)

Back