Grain/ Hop shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASHturbator

Reaction score
Am new to all grain and was wondering how long my leftover grain and hops will be good for? Should i vacuum seal them or leave them in the ziplock bags they came in? Thanks!

As long as the grains stay in a cool dry place and stored in an airtight container they should be fine. I vacuum seal my specialty grains in 1/2 lb increments and they go in the deep freeze but that's just me.

Hops I do the same for. Oxygen and heat are their major detriments. Vacuum seal and into the deep freeze. A fridge should be fine though for them.

I have my grains in Lock and Lock containers and vacuum sealed bags. I store then in the basement which is cool and dry in the winter, I dehumidify in the summer. I vacuum seal my hops or leave them in the factory packaging and store them in the fridge.

My grains of up to a year old are crisp and taste good. I cannot detect anything missing or off in the beer from them. My hops, also up to a year old, seem to give the proper results.

I also have frozen yeast, some over a year old. 8 or 9 different strains.

IF the grain is already milled and you're not going to use it in the next week or two, I'd vacuum it up and toss it in the freezer. If you're going to use it, just zip it back up and toss it in the fridge. Hops should always be vacuumed and frozen.

Back