Grain comparison: Weyermann Pilsner and Pale Ale and Viking Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
I wanted to compare this cheap Viking malt (possibly Polish) with my usual Weyermann.

I did a mini mash at my normal water to grist ratio with my normal water treatment, in three little thermoflasks. Sadly my mash temp came in way low, but this is a relative test and that was the same for all.
All three hit the same OG. I didn't boil these, just tasted and tossed.

IMG_1088.jpg

L-R: weyermann Pilsner, weyermann Pale Ale, Viking Pale Ae.

The Pilsner was a very clean, light grainy flavour. This is great as a neutral base malt, and that's how I use it. As you can see, very light.

The Pale Ales were interesting. As you can see, they were nearly the same colour.
Viking:
IMG_1085.jpg

Weyermann:
IMG_1086.jpg

The Viking was cloudier, so it is probably more modified than the Weyermann.

But the difference was the flavour. The Viking was decently malty and pleasant, but fairly one-note. The Weyermann expanded on that with honey notes, fresh grain flavour, and a moderately malty flavour.

A non-Brewer friend tasted and could easily see the superior flavour of the Weyermann Pale Ale.

So for my money, it's Weyermann.

Hi,
I was nearly asking myself the same question, then read this article:

http://brulosophy.com/2017/08/28/gr...lt-2-row-vs-pilsner-malt-exbeeriment-results/

The author has the same conclusion that you.

I believe that malt choice (Pale vs Pilsner) is crucial when you aim to reproduce the same beer everytime and doesn't really count if your beer is very hoppy.

Though, It is just a guess, haven't tried it yet.

Your thoughts?

Well you'd notice if you switched even a hoppy beer from Pale Ale to Pilsner. The melanoidins in higher EBC malt are hard to avoid.

Interesting. I'm just transitioning from extract kits to BIAB with bulk ingredients, and I have some Viking Pale Ale coming. The price tempted me. I have enough for 3 batches, so if they all suck then I'll have to find a source for better grains.

I didn't say it's bad, I just observed better flavour with Weyermann. In fact, it's probably good for hoppy beers where you want less malt flavour.

But that null-lox stuff is BS, because properly malted barley can easily have the lox deactivated by 15 minutes at 85c.

I didn't say it's bad, I just observed better flavour with Weyermann. In fact, it's probably good for hoppy beers where you want less malt flavour.[...]

I consider that a misconception wrt hoppy ales.
Imo you actually appreciate more malt presence - not sweetness but actual malted grain flavors - as the hop character increases.

As for the topic, fwiw, I use Weyermann pilsner whenever I can lay my hands on a bag...

Cheers!

True, I mean in teh american style of neutral base malt and some character malts.

I myself prefer 10% munich and a little wheat

Oh also funny story, I was at my LHBS today and asked how he was selling Barke Pilsner, which I had requested he carry. He said nobody bought it so he'd sold it off as regular pilsner . . . so when I am about to run out, he will order a sack or two for me.
Seriously, it is a nice tasting malt. I will probably switch to using it as my base malt for everything.

I just brewed yesterday using the pilsner, pale malts. all Viking. I did notice that the pale was darker and larger then the American pale I had on hand so I tasted a few of the grains. the American pale was a lighter flavor compared to the Viking. I liked the taste of the Viking and hope it translates into the finished beer.

Back