Grain Bill Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smadaus

Reaction score
So I wanted to brew a saison for the first time and decide to look up a recipe because I don't have a lot of knowledge with the style. I found this one (see below) and thought I would give it a shot.

10.4 lbs. (4.7 kg) Dingemans pale malt (~2°L)
2.1 lbs. (0.95 kg) Briess flaked wheat (~2 °L)
0.50 lbs. (0.23 kg) Weyermann Munich Type I malt
0.50 lbs (0.23 kg) Hugh Baird Carastan malt (15 °L)
0.50 oz. (15 g) Briess roasted barley (300 °L)

https://byo.com/bock/item/1343-saison-style-profile

My issue is that when I was reading the recipe to the guy at the LHBS I said .5lbs of roasted barley instead of .5oz and all of the grains were put in the same bag. So does anyone know of another beer I could make with that grain bill. Also the flaked wheat is the only thing in a separate bag, I'm not sure why so I could omit that if it doesn't work in another style.

The roasted barley is a lot darker than the other grain so I guess at the very least I could go through and pick all of it out and re-weight it to get the right amount.

I appreciate the help, cheers guys.

I would recommend putting your new recipe into a calculator like Brewers Friend and seeing what you can come up with. On a quick entry it looks like if you hop it around 20 IBU or so you might end up with something like a Doppelbock or Baltic Porter, at least in the sense of the numbers (ABV, IBU, SRM)

That said I am not sure how your Saison yeast will work in those styles.

Flaked grains don't require milling and are often placed in another bag

is the grain milled? If so its not worth even trying If unmilled picking out all that grain still sounds awful unless you have children you can make do it.

you could add about .75# Chocolate malt .5 Crystal 60 and another .5 of roasted barley along with a # of lactose and come up with a milk stout of sorts.

Look up the Left Hand Milk Stout clone recipe and you may be able to ballpark something.

Saisons cover a very wide range of malt bills. I would brew it as is and call it a Dark Saison. Fix it the next time. Half an ounce is a very small amount of anything. The smallest amount of any one grain I have ever put in a recipe is .1 pound (or 1.6 oz.). That was peat malt. A very strongly flavored malt.

If it's unmilled I would pick t out. The roast barley will be easy to spot.

If it's milled, this is not a big disaster at all. You have 1/2 pound out of a 13.5 pound grain bill or 3.7%. This is more than you would normally want in a saison, but it might work. This grain bill would make a great black IPA as is or add some more roast barley and chocolate malt for a stout.

Sorry about the late response and thanks for responding. It's not milled so I will probably try and pull it out and if that sucks as bad as I think it will then I will probably try brewing it with it in there. I appreciate the help guys.

Flaked grains don't require milling and are often placed in another bag

is the grain milled? If so its not worth even trying If unmilled picking out all that grain still sounds awful unless you have children you can make do it.

you could add about .75# Chocolate malt .5 Crystal 60 and another .5 of roasted barley along with a # of lactose and come up with a milk stout of sorts.

Look up the Left Hand Milk Stout clone recipe and you may be able to ballpark something.
Roasted barley is not a flaked grain.

Last edited:
Like most here...it's not going to come out as planned but it's still going to be beer. Make note of what is in it in case it turns out good. Brew it up and enjoy...you may have created a new style! :D

I would not spend time picking it out. That's kind of crazy to try.

If this is your first time brewing a saison, don't do it with this grain. Get the correct grains first. Personally I think roasted barley is weird in a saison - dark candi sugar would probably be the "normal" way to get more color and depth in a saison kind of beer.

If you brew it with this, you'll say, "I brewed a saison once, and it was really weird. I didn't like it."

Instead, brew this grain with a different yeast - if you're using liquid, the White Labs Irish would be good. Even a neutral yeast like WLP001 or US-05 would be fine (and many would say Nottingham, too). It's not a perfect stout grain bill, but it's closer to a good stout than to a good saison.

(This is just my opinion - I have been disappointed with experimental stouts to the point that I have not brewed one in a long time.)

It will be a dark saision. I did one recently, better than a straight saision Imo. It will be more roasty then is perhaps optional but the roast character plays well with the waters and phenols from the yeast

Latest posts

Back