Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done two so far of Brandon O's, two of Pappy's and one of Ed Wort's Apfelwein. As far as smooth drinking early Graff's is the winner, given a month aging, Pappy's is pretty good and at two months Ed Wort's is getting better.

Of the people who's tried all three, beer drinkers like Graff better and wine drinker's prefer other two. Pappy's is too strong and sweet for many, my second batch, I cut the sugar and switched to Notty, trying for 12% instead of 16% and lightly carbed.

I've done two so far of Brandon O's, two of Pappy's and one of Ed Wort's Apfelwein. As far as smooth drinking early Graff's is the winner, given a month aging, Pappy's is pretty good and at two months Ed Wort's is getting better.

Of the people who's tried all three, beer drinkers like Graff better and wine drinker's prefer other two. Pappy's is too strong and sweet for many, my second batch, I cut the sugar and switched to Notty, trying for 12% instead of 16% and lightly carbed.

which one is Pappy's? I'm not familiar with it...thanks.

Got my small (10 liters) batch of graff to fermetation vessel yesterday. Did a bit different recipie:

250g Crystal 150L malt
150g Chocolate malt
150g Flaked Wheat
steeped 40 mins in 66*C 4 liters of water
+ 500g Light DME
+ 14g Goldings (5.1%) hops @ 30'
boiled for 30 minutes
chilled in cold water
added 6 liters of self-pressed applejuice (from last year)
+ half a packet of US-05

I wanted to have a bit darker version of graff. I suspect that I overhopped it a bit, but it is to be seen/tasted.

Guesstimate tells that above should give me something around 6,5%ABV and 14ish IBU. About double IBU of Brandon O's recipie, but I hope that leftover sweetness from the amount of malts used will balance bitterness a bit. :)

Having a killer apple crop this year! Problem is I'm running out of Cider variations to use up the endless supply. Edworts Apfelwein is GREAT but I really dont need 20 gallons of the stuff (man thats a lot of headaches ;) ) SO currently I have a batches of Original Recipe Graff, Harvest Graff made with Butternut Squash (my take on the pumpkin beer craze), Cider I made with homemade dark candi sugar, and a ton of virgin cider for the wee ones.

Sorry getting off topic, I was wondering if anyone has made a RYE GRAFF . On a recent trip my LHBS
I noticed the RYE EXTRACT. I've never used it before , but I am really interested . Anyone used this product? What about a RYE GRAFF with some spicy hops?
Thanks

The is very potent in my experience (or at least to my tastebuds). Go light on the extract and let it ferment out and then you can add more if the eye character isn't strong enough. Either that or make it nice and strong and then blend back with an un-ryed version.

Sooooo...if I lost my mind in my LHBS and grabbed 1lb of torrified wheat and ground it in with a pound of Crystal...what might the outcome be?

Sooooo...if I lost my mind in my LHBS and grabbed 1lb of torrified wheat and ground it in with a pound of Crystal...what might the outcome be?

Not totally sure, but I don't think you have enzymes with torrified wheat or crystal malts so you would have a starchy beer. Also, how dark is the crystal? Some of the lighter ones are still starchy depending on production methods (kiln vs drum).

I kegged this at three weeks and wasn't super impressed. Had a lot of hot alcohol characteristics like Apfelwein, but I needed a keg spot filled so I put it on gas and let it sit.

Two weeks makes ALL the difference!! It is so well balanced now and delicious. You'd never guess it was 7.5% ABV. If you can wait an extra few weeks to drink this you won't be disappointed, just maybe a little hungover.

For what it's worth I used crystal120L and Centennial. Absolutely delicious.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443756469.143580.jpg

I'm going on 24 hours with no visual signs of fermentation. Made up a 5 gallon batch following OP recipe. Used Danstar Bry-97 yeast (rehydrated) and pitched @68° OG 1.052. Ambient temp in basement where I have my carboy is about 64°. Wondering if I should start considering re-pitching?

I'm going on 24 hours with no visual signs of fermentation. Made up a 5 gallon batch following OP recipe. Used Danstar Bry-97 yeast (rehydrated) and pitched @68° OG 1.052. Ambient temp in basement where I have my carboy is about 64°. Wondering if I should start considering re-pitching?

That seems like a reasonable idea. The temps look fine as long as you didn't get a cider with preservatives by accident. I put some yeast nutrient in my starter, this last batch seemed like it was fermenting before I got the air lock on.

Take a gravity reading after 48 hours before re-pitching. It will tell you if any fermentation has taken place. If there has, test again 24 after that. You could have an air leak so no bubbles, or the yeast might have crapped out. Do you use nutrient? Did you oxygenate?

Last thought, if your basement is 64, is it sitting on a concrete floor? That can make a huge difference in temp.

Yeah, I don't usually use yeast nutrient. This is the first time I've run into an issue with my yeast not taking off within several hours, but then again, I've never brewed 'graf/cider' before or used this particular yeast strain either.
I did oxygenate very well. Hydrated yeast and it did act like a typical hydrate. Nice foamy slurry.
No air leaks. It was on sitting on the concrete floor, but not directly. I had placed a towel underneath.
I've got some hefeweizen slurry harvested a couple weeks ago that I could pitch, but would rather avoid if possible. Was hoping to stay as close to the original recipe as possible at least for my first batch. :mug:

*edit* I did move the carboy off the concrete just in case!

Bry97 is a slllooowwww starter
Just wait, once it starts, it will rip through it.

At close to 30 hours the graf did finally show some more apparent signs of fermentation. I had finally taken a flashlight and looking through the glass, I could tell things were happening inside. It's chugging along, but nothing vigorous for sure. Lol, I should be bottling by Christmas.

I brewed this last weekend and was shocked and sad to see no signs of fermentation after 24 hours. Sure enough the next morning, it was fermenting quite nicely! This is my first cider so I didn't know what to expect, but it seems to be a calmer slower fermentation (using wy1056).

Has anyone done any good variations on this post fermentation? I have my batch split in two 3 gal carboys. I was thinking about dry hopping one of them. Or maybe some oak?

Has anyone done any good variations on this post fermentation? I have my batch split in two 3 gal carboys. I was thinking about dry hopping one of them. Or maybe some oak?

I've done it with star anise soaked in vodka, and a different one with fennel seeds soaked in vodka both came out really good. I've also made a cocktail with finished graff and mixed salted caramel vodka which is very good.

Good God Man! My basement smells like I've been on a drunken binger eating pickled eggs and Taco Bell:drunk::rockin:

Sounds like the Bry did it's thing
Bet u r near fg now.

I used Bry-97 on my 3rd ever brew
50+ hours in and nothing. Nervous newb set in. Then airlock activity came and went in 36 hours. Nervous newb again. Beer was good.
Btw, if you let it flock and settle, it makes one hell of a firm cake. Cut it with a knife!

Sounds like the Bry did it's thing
Bet u r near fg now.

I used Bry-97 on my 3rd ever brew
50+ hours in and nothing. Nervous newb set in. Then airlock activity came and went in 36 hours. Nervous newb again. Beer was good.
Btw, if you let it flock and settle, it makes one hell of a firm cake. Cut it with a knife!

Ha! Yeah, 50+ hours to really start is about what I had as well. Now, it's been chuggin along big time. Tomorrow marks one week in the fermentor with no signs of slowing up soon.

graff.jpg

What SG should I bottle this at?

I'm at ~1 week and 1.011 the airlock isn't moving much anymore (maybe around 1 blub per minute).

Should I wait to clear, 5oz corn sugar, then bottle?

I tried to search but this thread is so f*cking long.

What SG should I bottle this at?

I'm at ~1 week and 1.011 the airlock isn't moving much anymore (maybe around 1 blub per minute).

Should I wait to clear, 5oz corn sugar, then bottle?

I tried to search but this thread is so f*cking long.

If gravity is stable in 3 days, cold crash if you can then bottle away.
The 1 per minute is prob off gassing.

If gravity is stable in 3 days, cold crash if you can then bottle away.
The 1 per minute is prob off gassing.

Thanks. I can cold crash. Even if I cold crash to clarity, is there enough yeast in suspension for carbonation? I added bentonite. Will this be a problem for bottle carbing?

Thanks. I can cold crash. Even if I cold crash to clarity, is there enough yeast in suspension for carbonation? I added bentonite. Will this be a problem for bottle carbing?

Should be fine. Many cold crash before bottling. It won't hurt to let it sit for a few more days for a diacetyl rest.

Should be fine. Many cold crash before bottling. It won't hurt to let it sit for a few more days for a diacetyl rest.

I bought a keg, finally, for this. I added half a cup of sucrose last night, had no bubbling in the airlock this morning, so figured fermentation hadn't started yet (but hope it will).

Will try it out in a week or 2. My hose connectors for force-carbing will come in next week.

I'm at 1.5 weeks and it looks like fermentation is slowing down a bit. I'll probably let it sit in the carboy till week 3. I've got a stout to bottle first :D
I can't wait to try this thing called graf though!

Brewed this October 1st and it still looks like its chugging away. Was planning to bottle tomorrow, but I suppose maybe it'll be ready after the weekend. I'm excited to try this, hoping for a quality product to use as Christmas presents.

Brewed this October 1st and it still looks like its chugging away. Was planning to bottle tomorrow, but I suppose maybe it'll be ready after the weekend. I'm excited to try this, hoping for a quality product to use as Christmas presents.

Wow, what temperature? Have you take an sg lately? Mine stopped at 1.014-ish after about 7 days

Wow, what temperature? Have you take an sg lately? Mine stopped at 1.014-ish after about 7 days

It's in my basement, about 62-64 degrees last I checked, . I haven't taken a gravity reading since I closed the fermenter. I did boil some water and a pound of brown sugar and put it in after a few days, so that didn't speed the process along at all

It's in my basement, about 62-64 degrees last I checked, . I haven't taken a gravity reading since I closed the fermenter. I did boil some water and a pound of brown sugar and put it in after a few days, so that didn't speed the process along at all

..oh haha

Man, so I followed the original recipe to a T. I may have added the wort a bit too hot to the cider/juice.

It tastes alright. Its like a tart dry cider, mixed with coors light. It's just not that amazing.

It also gives me one hell of a hang over :drunk:.

It's ... just OK. Not sure if I would make this again... I'd probably reduce the grains 1/2, add more sugar to bump the ABV 1-2%, and back sweeten with a little cider concentrate...

I might even consider caramelizing some sugar. It's just... OK.

Back