Graff gone...sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started a graff with the following recipe. It fermented down, like it's supposed to, but now has a definite sour taste. Not a bad, vinegary, sour, but something more citrusy.
What could have caused it?

1 pound white wheat
½ pound pale ale
1 gallon apple juice
safale-05

Grains were mashed at approximately 155 (I tried, anyways), OG 1.060, SG at tasting 1.008.

Let it age a month or two. See if it tastes better then. To me, young ciders always taste a bit sour, but improve with age. My graff definitely tasted much better after lagering a couple months.

Hmmm--I can't remember, and took poor notes on this one. I have a feeling that I didn't.

Ah, well. If it isn't drinkable at the end then I'll try cooking with it. If it's not good for that--well, it's only a gallon batch.

I happen to like sour things, so it's not as much of an issue for me.

Update: When I posted the original question, I had just added a can of apple juice concentrate (giving about 30 gravity points) to help add some body, more fermentable sugars, and more apple flavour; and about 1/2 oz of oak beans, soaked in Canadian whiskey.
The flavour is now still sour, but there is actually some mouthfeel, and the oak is adding some nice depth. I think it will all work out for the best.
Assuming that it ferments down again (no reason it won't) I will slaughter my yeasty minions in droves and backsweeten with maple syrup.

Latest posts

Back