Gradual rise mash = good efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
First off I am full volume, no sparge BIAB. Brewed up a basic lager using 8lbs of grain and decided to do a gradual heating of the mash. Dumps grains in at 120 degrees and brought it up to 150 degrees gradually. Let it set there for 45 minutes and free fall back down to 145 degrees. Then I cut the heat back on until about 160 degrees where I pulled the bag and squeezed it like it owed me money. Ended up with 6 gallons of 1.041 wort which is about 82-83% efficiency.

For those that want to be lazy like me, it turns out you can get some decent numbers this way.

First off I am full volume, no sparge BIAB. Brewed up a basic lager using 8lbs of grain and decided to do a gradual heating of the mash. Dumps grains in at 120 degrees and brought it up to 150 degrees gradually. Let it set there for 45 minutes and free fall back down to 145 degrees. Then I cut the heat back on until about 160 degrees where I pulled the bag and squeezed it like it owed me money. Ended up with 6 gallons of 1.041 wort which is about 82-83% efficiency.

For those that want to be lazy like me, it turns out you can get some decent numbers this way.

Based on the probable moisture content of the malt (about 4%), your efficiency was more like 84 - 86%. Your conversion efficiency was probably upwards of 98%. You couldn't have done any better than this with no-sparge. Nice job.

Brew on :mug:

Sweet. Shooting for a nice dry American lager at the higher end of the ibu range for the style. Hoping it ferments down to about 1.006-1.008. Does anyone else ever gradually heat their mash when shooting for a light crisp beer?

Sweet. Shooting for a nice dry American lager at the higher end of the ibu range for the style. Hoping it ferments down to about 1.006-1.008. Does anyone else ever gradually heat their mash when shooting for a light crisp beer?

The only one I know of is @Owly055

I did it on my last batch about three weeks ago but haven't checked where it finished at yet.

Yeah I don't really get when people target an exact temp and keep it there. As long as you are within range of a particular enzyme it will work won't it? I always use just a dash of amylase enzyme when I mash as well. Want to make sure things get converted. If it finishes low I will consider it a great success.

Yeah I don't really get when people target an exact temp and keep it there. As long as you are within range of a particular enzyme it will work won't it? I always use just a dash of amylase enzyme when I mash as well. Want to make sure things get converted. If it finishes low I will consider it a great success.

Well in theory most of the water can be one temp but the water at the bottom of the pot can be too hot. Pretty hard to circulate the water with a big bag in it. Shouldn`t be a problem if you warm the water reaaaaaally slowly though...

Well in theory most of the water can be one temp but the water at the bottom of the pot can be too hot. Pretty hard to circulate the water with a big bag in it. Shouldn`t be a problem if you warm the water reaaaaaally slowly though...

I stir my mash every few minutes to avoid temp spikes.

I circulate. I believe that the temperature is more consistent doing so.

Latest posts

Back