Gotta sanitize the Skittles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly, depending on how you are integrating them. If adding to the boil, no. If adding to fermenter or at bottling, yes.

Yeah, into the fermeneter now that primary fermentation has ended.

and basically an excuse to make skittle vodka at the same time.

I was basically using it as an excuse to make Skittle vodka before dumping it into the fermenter. Btw, Skittle vodka is good.

my own recipe, but
2 gallon
2 lbs golden promise, 2 lbs wheat malt, .5 ML bittering hop oil, .5 ML citra at flame out. wb06,

Came for the title, subscribing because I think it would suck but also maybe not and want to read results.

for the record, the skittles, including the white center, was completely dissolved in the vodka before adding to the fermenter. The green are not lime, but are green apple. The beer is actually going to be bottled tomorrow with carbonation drops, and hope for the best.

I agree, thinking this may suck, but this stemmed from using jolly ranchers a year ago (fail) to a conversation on using peeps (flavor would be lost) to maybe skittles would work? Then researching skittles and finding skittle vodka. Then thinking maybe after primary fermentation is complete I could add it, and hopefully the flavor would carry through.

approx 200 skittles in 300 ml of vodka.

Marshawn Lynch approved....says the 12th post man..:)

Marshawn Lynch.jpg

for the record, the skittles, including the white center, was completely dissolved in the vodka before adding to the fermenter. The green are not lime, but are green apple. The beer is actually going to be bottled tomorrow with carbonation drops, and hope for the best.

I agree, thinking this may suck, but this stemmed from using jolly ranchers a year ago (fail) to a conversation on using peeps (flavor would be lost) to maybe skittles would work? Then researching skittles and finding skittle vodka. Then thinking maybe after primary fermentation is complete I could add it, and hopefully the flavor would carry through.

approx 200 skittles in 300 ml of vodka.

Peeps could be fun to add to the end of the boil though. Might give you some sort of flavor. Will definitely give you fermentable sugars though.

I may have missed it, but when did you add this to the beer? If it was recently I would let it ride as you will probably get some sort of fermentation spike. Either way, I think it sounds disgusting and I would love to try it hahaha

okay, brewed on the 18th (2 gallon batch) with an OG of 1.063 and an estimated FG with wb06 of 1.009 (hit 85% efficiency) for 7% before vodka and skittles.

Added the skittles/vodka on the 25th

i'll take a brix reading tomorrow morning and if it's at .009 good, if not, i'll measure it sunday afternoon. if it's the same, i'll bottle it then.

Wait wait wait...you dissolved the skittles in 300mL of vodka and added that to the fermentor? Sweet Jesus, that's gonna be some hot alcohol flavor in there! I'd be worried about stressing the yeast with the extra ethanol (since you were already at 7%) while at the same time adding a bunch more sugar for them to work through. I agree with what someone above said...this sound disgusting and I want to try it.

After adding the skittle vodka it's almost certainly not going to be 1.009. Vodka should have a lower gravity on its own so 300mL in 2 gallons will move the hydrometer a little bit down, but more importantly, you've added approximately 200 skittles (half a pound?) as well, which is a whole lot of simple sugar. If Skittles contain a bunch of preservatives (almost certain), they might kill your yeast (perhaps a bit less certain?) and you'd end up with a much higher FG than 1.009. If they ferment, you should end up quite a bit lower between the vodka and the fermentation of simple sugars, assuming the yeast can tolerate fermenting at that ABV.

Any way you slice it, if your FG settles at 1.009, it's pure happenstance. That said, it's been several days since you added the skittle vodka so your fermentation should almost definitely be finished by now one way or another.

Okay,
Bottled, took a sample, did not even bother with a hydrometer.

it tastes, well, it's interesting, skittle flavor did not really come through, I went Mr Beer on this one, since I used the ferementer from a mr beer, I have 7 1 liter mr beer bottles (and used 2 carb drops each).

at this point I will call this beer attempt unsuccessful. That said, it's almost like a hefeweizen at this point, a young hefe...

will let it carb up and then give it the official review with pictures..

Wait wait wait...you dissolved the skittles in 300mL of vodka and added that to the fermentor? Sweet Jesus, that's gonna be some hot alcohol flavor in there! I'd be worried about stressing the yeast with the extra ethanol (since you were already at 7%) while at the same time adding a bunch more sugar for them to work through. I agree with what someone above said...this sound disgusting and I want to try it.

Not necessarily. I've used a 750ml bottle of liqueur to prime a 5-gallon batch. The OP isn't too far off from that. Granted, it takes a little more time for all the flavors to settle down, but in the end it was one delicious beer!

This Turned out very well. Tast tested by 10+ people and it was a very interesting beer.

It's something special, that's for sure. The sour apple came through, it's almost like a sour beer. It's strong, and a decent summer slammer. Light and clear in color.

I am shocked.

now to dry and mash it with fruity pebbles.... :)

However, that was drinking it 3oz at a time. I think it would be a while to work through a full 12oz, but have 6 Liters left, so....

I have 1 bottle to give away, it's a liter of beer so it should be shared with a group. if anyone on here near gurnee, il or the loop (in Chicago) want to try it, let me know via pm.

nope, no green, shared two bottles and did not get a pic.. it's a bright yellow wheat color.

https://www.txbrewing.com/storeblog/vivamus-mauris/staff-blogs/mikey-b-s-brewlab-skittlebrau-aka-brewing-candy-beer.html

I've done this. I've done it very well. It's very well received. This is my blog about the brew.

Omgosh has the share bottle been gifted already??? I would love to try this!!

No, it has not been given.

pm me your address

https://www.txbrewing.com/storeblog/vivamus-mauris/staff-blogs/mikey-b-s-brewlab-skittlebrau-aka-brewing-candy-beer.html

I've done this. I've done it very well. It's very well received. This is my blog about the brew.

Did not see other people have done this until after it was brewed. I used different everything, and only 1 color. thinking now of doing 1 gallon of each color to compare. it's the same wort, golden promise and wheat (50/50) and .5 mL of citra hop oil at flame out., easy to follow.

For best results, best skittle flavor, I would recommend a very neutral bittering hop, and late additions with the candy. The more prominent the hop, the more muddied the beer will end up. Depending on what your goal is. My next skittles beer will be a HefeWeisse with tropical fruit skittles.

The only Skittles beer I have tasted was a Skittles Berliner Weisse at a local brewery that was very tasty....they also did a Nerds version.....the candies seem to work very well in light sours like that....

The only Skittles beer I have tasted was a Skittles Berliner Weisse at a local brewery that was very tasty....they also did a Nerds version.....the candies seem to work very well in light sours like that....

Makes sense: those candies are already a little bit sour themselves so they mix well with sour flavors, and in the case of a Berliner Weisse, it's intended to be mixed with a sweet syrup at pouring time so candy could be an alternative to the syrup.

Back