Gotta love marketing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is BS about it? The article states that while people want more natural ingredients, they also only have a couple minutes in which to eat them, and a few dollars to spend. This seems about right given these constraints.

You think? What makes cutting potatoes without steaming them more "natural" than cutting them after steaming, especially when the steaming is not done to cook the potatoes, but to separate the skins (not that it'd make a difference anyway)? And how is treating the potatoes with an assortment of chemicals, in any way, "natural"?

You can twist a simple word like Natural to mean many different things. Perhaps they just meant "natural looking" from the skins not being removed, and not "just dug up from your back yard, sliced, fried, and served".

You can twist a simple word like Natural to mean many different things. Perhaps they just meant "natural looking" from the skins not being removed, and not "just dug up from your back yard, sliced, fried, and served".

Yep. Or perhaps they just know everybody goes crazy when they hear the word "natural" (like it somehow is a guarantee that's gonna be good for you), and decided to use it to mislead their customers, once again.

What exactly is it that you expect from a fast food restaurant?

Honesty. The same thing I expect from anybody I do business with. I don't give a damn about "natural". I'm well aware that "natural" doesn't mean "good". What I do care about is the truth.

I see to be out of dimethylpolysiloxane and sodium acid pyrophosphate in my pantry. :drunk:

Shame on you! How do you expect to be able to cook without them?:D

I see to be out of dimethylpolysiloxane and sodium acid pyrophosphate in my pantry. :drunk:

I've got the dimethylpolysiloxane in my fridge. That's where I keep my Fermcap.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have some sodium acid pyrophosphate as well. It is used in curing meats and is a great substitute for Sodium choride when brining meats. You can use it at much lower rates, so there is less sodium, and it doesn't taste so "salty".

Actually, the marketing I hate are things like Tums. I remember a number of years ago when the getting more calcium in your diet became the fashion. They came out with a new label and campaign touting, "Now with Calcium!!!!" Uh, Tums is mostly Calcium Carbonate already. All they changed was the label, but they implied they made changes and added calcium, when in fact they did nothing. I see this occasionally. Some product will be touted as being healthy, and then magically there will be products touting that theirs now has this, when in fact nothing has changed except the marketing - and often the price.

Honesty. The same thing I expect from anybody I do business with. I don't give a damn about "natural". I'm well aware that "natural" doesn't mean "good". What I do care about is the truth.

Did you specifically ask them what they meant by "natural"? If not, then how can you say that they were anything but honest? If what they meant is different than what you assumed, then where was the issue? This type of "misdirection" happens all the time as you are well aware, why should this surprise you anymore?

Actually, the marketing I hate are things like Tums. I remember a number of years ago when the getting more calcium in your diet became the fashion. They came out with a new label and campaign touting, "Now with Calcium!!!!" Uh, Tums is mostly Calcium Carbonate already. All they changed was the label, but they implied they made changes and added calcium, when in fact they did nothing.

Yup. What I don't understand is the complete lack of protection the customer has here. In the '90s, in Argentina, a major brand of cooking oil started advertising their "new" "Cholesterol Free" oil. Of course, for a while, all the idiots would use only that brand, until all the other brands followed suit. Soon after, things like "cholesterol free potato chips" started to pop up. It took the law a couple of years to catch up, but finally they did, and that kind of advertising was forbidden, because, while it's not a lie per se, it implies a lie.

Did you specifically ask them what they meant by "natural"? If not, then how can you say that they were anything but honest? If what they meant is different than what you assumed, then where was the issue?

I don't have to. Have you heard of the "dictionary"? "Natural" already has a meaning. Being that they didn't provide an alternate meaning for their use of the word (which would be the honest thing to do, IF they were honest), I don't see what reason would anybody have to assume they didn't use the word's original definition.

This type of "misdirection" happens all the time as you are well aware, why should this surprise you anymore?

Yeah, and so does murder, and so does terrorism. Does the fact that they're common make them right?

Yep. Or perhaps they just know everybody goes crazy when they hear the word "natural" (like it somehow is a guarantee that's gonna be good for you), and decided to use it to mislead their customers, once again.

Shame on you! How do you expect to be able to cook without them?:D
Their fries are "Natural Cut", not All Natural! Aka, they're cut with the skins on. Not hard to figure out. If you think their is a farmer out back tossing spuds through the back door to the workers to slice up, well, I guess you deserved to get duped. And without the chemicals, you'd like be starting a thread instead saying how gross and brown the new Wendy's fries are.

Their fries are "Natural Cut", not All Natural! Aka, they're cut with the skins on. Not hard to figure out. If you think their is a farmer out back tossing spuds through the back door to the workers to slice up, well, I guess you deserved to get duped. And without the chemicals, you'd like be starting a thread instead saying how gross and brown the new Wendy's fries are.

I think you got it wrong.
First, I haven't tried those fries yet. Now I probably won't, ever. Never been a Wendy's fan anyways.
Second, like I said before, if they were honestly trying to draw attention to the fact that hey leave the skins on (which many other companies do, I don't see what's the big deal about it), instead of playing to people's perception of the word "natural" they should've specified.
And, finally, I don't have a problem with chemicals. I eat them everyday. What I do have a problem with is BS.

Let's say you spend a ton of money to buy a Boilermaker, and when you finally get the package, you find out they sent you an aluminum pot. You call them, and they tell you the pot is "stainless steel cut", meaning that, instead of spinning the aluminum to make it, they cut and welded several pieces (which is as valid as saying the fries are "natural cut" because they kept the skins on). Would you be OK with that? What makes the people at Wendy's less dishonest than the Blichmann people? The cost? :rolleyes:

I still don't see what is so BS about it. They didn't say anything that was dishonest. They labeled their fries natural cut, possibly hoping that the typical consumer would assume that they are made from all natural ingredients (I have no way of knowing one way or another). And if a consumer made that assumption, then why should Wendy's be held liable for it? I see some pretty good looking people with a full head of hair on those commercials, does that mean that if I eat their food, I will look like that too (instead of the average looking, slightly overweight, balding guy that I am)?

Yup. What I don't understand is the complete lack of protection the customer has here. In the '90s, in Argentina, a major brand of cooking oil started advertising their "new" "Cholesterol Free" oil. Of course, for a while, all the idiots would use only that brand, until all the other brands followed suit. Soon after, things like "cholesterol free potato chips" started to pop up. It took the law a couple of years to catch up, but finally they did, and that kind of advertising was forbidden, because, while it's not a lie per se, it implies a lie.

Yup, I'd forgotten that one. Any product that uses only plant oils (and no animal products) is going to be cholesterol free. Always has been, always will. Then there are baked good that always used just vegetable oil (in it's native form) and are now labeled "trans-fat free!!!"

I think you got it wrong.
First, I haven't tried those fries yet. Now I probably won't, ever. Never been a Wendy's fan anyways.
Second, like I said before, if they were honestly trying to draw attention to the fact that hey leave the skins on (which many other companies do, I don't see what's the big deal about it), instead of playing to people's perception of the word "natural" they should've specified.
And, finally, I don't have a problem with chemicals. I eat them everyday. What I do have a problem with is BS.

Let's say you spend a ton of money to buy a Boilermaker, and when you finally get the package, you find out they sent you an aluminum pot. You call them, and they tell you the pot is "stainless steel cut", meaning that, instead of spinning the aluminum to make it, they cut and welded several pieces (which is as valid as saying the fries are "natural cut" because they kept the skins on). Would you be OK with that? What makes the people at Wendy's less dishonest than the Blichmann people? The cost? :rolleyes:

Because nothing about "Natural Cut" implies anything otherwise. Your rant is taking this simple phrase and trying to twist it around as if they are marketing an "All Natural" product. And, lets suppose they instead marketed them as "Skin On" like so many other products do. Well, then your gripe would be about mismarketing the fries because not every individual fry had skin on them, or worse, everyone of them did have skin on and they just sell the ones without skin to Taco Bell to use as a meat filler product.

I agree that the marketing dept. is reaching here. Just like our marketing dept where I work. They have a "promotion" with everything at list price. Idiots.

I agree that the marketing dept. is reaching here. Just like our marketing dept where I work. They have a "promotion" with everything at list price. Idiots.

Sort of like Ultimate Electronics annual "Going out of Business Liquidation Sale" where the prices are no less than MSRP and they still honor a price match.

Introducing Wendy's new Fries That Still Have The Skin On Them! Doesn't have the same ring.

Marketing is not a bad thing. Everyone does it, even homebrewing companies and craft breweries.

Made of materials that occur naturally on the planet Earth.
"Natural" doesn't have any of the constraints that "organic" does.

They should just call them Naturalish and everyone would be happy.

Hmmm...this is gonna be one long ass post...:(

Yup, I'd forgotten that one. Any product that uses only plant oils (and no animal products) is going to be cholesterol free. Always has been, always will. Then there are baked good that always used just vegetable oil (in it's native form) and are now labeled "trans-fat free!!!"

Oh, you had it here too?
Yeah, the trans-fat free BS is the new one. I guess it's the customer's fault, for not being all biochemists... :rolleyes:

I still don't see what is so BS about it. They didn't say anything that was dishonest.

Yep, and that's the real problem. You guys have been manipulated for so long, you got to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with it.

They labeled their fries natural cut, possibly hoping that the typical consumer would assume that they are made from all natural ingredients (I have no way of knowing one way or another). And if a consumer made that assumption, then why should Wendy's be held liable for it?

So there's "nothing dishonest" with using a phrase, with the hope that people will misinterpret it... That's not dishonest at all...
And, I don't know...You think maybe they should be held liable because they were the ones that came up with the misleading phrase? Seems like a pretty good reason, don't you think?

I see some pretty good looking people with a full head of hair on those commercials, does that mean that if I eat their food, I will look like that too (instead of the average looking, slightly overweight, balding guy that I am)?

Seriously dude... You really think that's a valid argument? :rolleyes:
Either way, if they say in the commercials you'd look like them, yeah, you should expect to end up looking like them.
A few years ago (here, in the US), there was a TV ad about a hair growth product that claimed that "once you apply it, after 60 seconds, you'll have a full head of hair." That company was forced to pull their ad. Nobody said "if you're dumb enough to believe that, you deserve to be duped". They had to pull it BECAUSE IT WAS A LIE.

Because nothing about "Natural Cut" implies anything otherwise. Your rant is taking this simple phrase and trying to twist it around as if they are marketing an "All Natural" product.

Really? And what does "natural cut" imply? Do you know any potato variety that comes, straight to the plant, naturally cut into french fries?
But I am twisting it...

This is what the "Merriam Webster Dictionary" says about "natural"

Definition 10:
a : growing without human care; also : not cultivated <natural prairie unbroken by the plow>
b : existing in or produced by nature : not artificial <natural turf> <natural curiosities>
c : relating to or being natural food

Tell me: where does that fit with your "natural cut" definition?

And, lets suppose they instead marketed them as "Skin On" like so many other products do.

That is EXACTLY what they should've done. But they didn't, first, because it has no label appeal, and second, because there's already several food chains selling skin on fries (KFC, Miami Subs, and Boston Market, to start with).

Well, then your gripe would be about mismarketing the fries because not every individual fry had skin on them, or worse, everyone of them did have skin on and they just sell the ones without skin to Taco Bell to use as a meat filler product.

I don't think you know me well enough to know what my "gripe" would've been "if"...
Wait, actually, I don't think you know me at all...do you?

Not idiots, dishonest. But hey, as long as people keep on taking it, why should they stop? After all, why should they be held liable for their own lies...right?

They should just call them Naturalish and everyone would be happy.

:D:D That's the best post I've seen in this thread so far...:D:D

Answers:
So far, I haven't tried any. Need to start tasting them...
Mazdas, but now I'm on foot...:(
The cheapest kind...

Can I ask why?

Really? And what does "natural cut" imply? Do you know any potato variety that comes, straight to the plant, naturally cut into french fries?
But I am twisting it...

This is what the "Merriam Webster Dictionary" says about "natural"

Definition 10:
a : growing without human care; also : not cultivated <natural prairie unbroken by the plow>
b : existing in or produced by nature : not artificial <natural turf> <natural curiosities>
c : relating to or being natural food

Tell me: where does that fit with your "natural cut" definition?

So, to allay your frustrations with the Wendy's product and to comply with the Webster definition the Wendy's chain will propose to install and maintain a plot of Russets for each storefront directly out back next to the waste bin (takes advantage of all that "Natural" compost tea) and thus pluck a potato for every order and deep fry it whole.

Tastey!

Just look at the phrase "natural cut fries". There are two ways to look at it:

1) Fries that are "natural-cut"
2) Cut fries that are natural

I'm all for truth in advertising, but you have to be an absolute idiot to assume they meant the second one, sorry. Perhaps they're sneaking the word natural in there to create a positive mental association, but that is just good marketing and isn't dishonest.

I'm not sure who would be more retarded: consumers who see "Wendy's New Natural Cut Fries" and suddenly want to go try these new fries that are both natural AND cut (wow!), or the marketing execs who are apparently stupid enough to believe that's what people would actually think? No wait, I think it's the guy on the Internet who insists that both groups are really THAT mentally challenged.

So, to allay your frustrations with the Wendy's product and to comply with the Webster definition the Wendy's chain will propose to install and maintain a plot of Russets for each storefront directly out back next to the waste bin (takes advantage of all that "Natural" compost tea) and thus pluck a potato for every order and deep fry it whole.

Tastey!

At this point, I'm not even sure answering to your post is worth the waste of my time. This last post of yours leads me to believe that either you're BEYOND STUPID, or you're just as dishonest as the Wendy's people, or worse.
This thread is about HONESTY IN ADVERTISING, not about natural food. I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT NATURAL FOOD. Is that clear enough for you, or do you need me to draw you a picture?:mad:

I'm all for truth in advertising, but you have to be an absolute idiot to assume they meant the second one, sorry. Perhaps they're sneaking the word natural in there to create a positive mental association, but that is just good marketing and isn't dishonest.

I'm not sure who would be more retarded: consumers who see "Wendy's New Natural Cut Fries" and suddenly want to go try these new fries that are both natural AND cut (wow!), or the marketing execs who are apparently stupid enough to believe that's what people would actually think? No wait, I think it's the guy on the Internet who insists that both groups are really THAT mentally challenged.

Not the point at all. Even retarded customers have rights, and one basic right is to get what you pay for. And yes, if it's not true, it's dishonest, period. Wendy's fries are not any more "natural" than those from any other fast food joint, so using the word "natural" to create a false difference in the customers' minds is dishonest, any way you want to look at it.

By the way: in case I wasn't clear enough before, no, I didn't believe Wendy's advertising from the get go. I don't like Wendy's, but, even if I did, I know better than to believe their BS.

At this point, I'm not even sure answering to your post is worth the waste of my time. This last post of yours leads me to believe that either you're BEYOND STUPID, or you're just as dishonest as the Wendy's people, or worse.
This thread is about HONESTY IN ADVERTISING, not about natural food. I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT NATURAL FOOD. Is that clear enough for you, or do you need me to draw you a picture?:mad:

No offense sir, but I think Gila's sense of humor and literary wit may be flying well over your head....

(And there are better ways to try and make your point other that full caps and bold text)

No offense sir, but I think Gila's sense of humor and literary wit may be flying well over your head....

Could be. I said many times that my English is limited.

(And there are better ways to try and make your point other that full caps and bold text)

Not if he doesn't have a point.

I think my point has been made abundantly clear. Sorry it seems to have escaped you.

*shrug* When I heard "natural cut fries" my first thought were fries with the skins on them. I've seen them referred to that way for a long time. It's how I make them at home if I do fries from scratch. I never thought they'd be some kind of organic, hippy french fry.

Never heard of anybody calling them that way. Actually, prompted by your post, I googled "natural cut". All I got were articles (lots of them) about Wendy's fries.

Could be. I said many times that my English is limited.

Don't worry. I know many people with a 200% grasp of the English language that have a hard time understanding the subtleness of many of Gila's posts. But if/when you do get it; they're darn funny. I think he might be Dennis Miller.....

Is this thread still going? You've already been proven wrong, just let it go...

Don't worry. I know many people with a 200% grasp of the English language that have a hard time understanding the subtleness of many of Gila's posts. But if/when you do get it; they're darn funny. I think he might be Dennis Miller.....

Maybe you could explain?:)

Not the point at all. Even retarded customers have rights, and one basic right is to get what you pay for. And yes, if it's not true, it's dishonest, period. Wendy's fries are not any more "natural" than those from any other fast food joint, so using the word "natural" to create a false difference in the customers' minds is dishonest, any way you want to look at it.

By the way: in case I wasn't clear enough before, no, I didn't believe Wendy's advertising from the get go. I don't like Wendy's, but, even if I did, I know better than to believe their BS.

After this post, I have concluded that you, sir, are either Ignatius J. Reilly, or TrailerTrashBrewer. Either way, you don't know when to quit when you have obviously been proven wrong so many times.

Back