Gooseberry Pie Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistFM

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been challenged by a coworker to try to mimic a gooseberry pie beer. I have 7 lbs of freshly picked gooseberries in my freezer right now and after researching on HBT and Northern Brewer, I have come up with something that I think will turn out good. I need help picking out a yeast (I'm not as knowledgeable with how specific yeasts perform since I haven't brewed that long).

Grain Bill:

7 lbs Marris Otter
5 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs 8 oz Biscuit Malt
1 lbs Flaked Oats
1 lbs Honey Malt
2 lbs Rice Hulls
Irish moss

Hops (my idea with this is to pick a good bittering hop but something that will contribute nothing/very little to the taste of the beer. I want the "pie crust" taste to come through on the grain bill)

1 oz Magnum hops 60 min boil

Yeast

?????????

Secondary

3 lbs of gooseberries mashed up and pasteurized for about a week or so

I was going to add Lactose to the bottling bucket to taste and balance out the tartness of the gooseberries. I'm hoping this will be really good. Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

So looking around, I actually came across some new information. I think my biscuit malt was too high, so I lowered that to 12 oz. I am also thinking about using Wyeast 1056 or Wyeast 1272. I was reading the description for 1272 and it talks about a slightly nutty, soft, slightly tart clean finish. That sounds perfect for what a gooseberry pie would taste like.

OK, So I just tried this beer and I have to say it came out GREAT! We ended up adding about 1.5 lbs of lactose before our bottling sugar and the final product has a tartness that isn't too bad. The first sip kicks you in the face but about 3 sips in it feels like a nice, refreshing summer beer. I couldn't be happier with it!.

Revitalizing an old post:

I am in the process of developing a recipe for a Gooseberry Sour IPA, will be called Tart and Goosey and use Petoskey hops from the plants I am, currently growing.

Latest posts

Back