Goodbye Glass Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in search of new fermentors. My ideal setup would include a fermentation chamber with four separate temperature zones and the ability to lager. I am brewing mostly 5 gal batches and am going to convert a Sanke to do the occasional 10 gal batch. This is what I am looking for in a Fermentor:

1) durability
2) easy to clean
3) harvest yeast
4) pressure transfer

I have researched the following and am looking for some advice on which way to go.
1) SS Brewtech Brew Bucket
2) SS Brewtech 7 gal Chronical
3) Speidel 30L
4) Fast Ferment Conical

I use the fast ferment for several brews now. it works well with some caveats on your "wanted" list.

you can't pressure transfer, and fitting one in a ferm chamber can be a bit of a chore. it's not a very space efficient fermentor.

yeast capture, ease of cleaning, etc are all pretty good.

(on a side note, I usually brew 10gal and split between 2 fast ferments)

You can get a 10 gallon corny for less than a SS brewtech bucket. No brainer imho.

I use the SS Brewtech 7 gal Chronical for my brews. It will cover your first 4 requirements plus you can add the temperature control later down the line or now. You will need to pay a little extra for the pressure transfer option and install it yourself but the price and effort are not deal breakers. I have never used it to lager but I imagine that you could as long as you can find a cold enough source to run cold water through the coils of the temp control system. I currently lager with a glass carboy in a mini fridge connected to a STI controller. You can also add a 5th requirement of the conical looking awesome and impressing your friends...just make sure your beer is as good as the conical looks.

The Chronical has a lot going for it, but the cost is tough to justify even at its low price point. I was leaning toward the brew bucket, but does it really offer anything more than the Speidel? I just hate spending money on something just to upgrade later, I don't like spending my cash twice. @weezy, you make a good point, I guess I could just get three more Sankes as well

I can't speak for any of the others, but I have two of the Speidel 30L and I love them. They seal up nice and tight and can hold a small amount of pressure, enough for transfer. Cleaning is a breeze.

The Chronical has a lot going for it, but the cost is tough to justify even at its low price point. I was leaning toward the brew bucket, but does it really offer anything more than the Speidel? I just hate spending money on something just to upgrade later, I don't like spending my cash twice. @weezy, you make a good point, I guess I could just get three more Sankes as well

Sankes won't be easy to clean. He suggested 10 gallon cornie keg. That would be much easier to clean (you can see inside them much easier). You can get them new for around $275. I ferment 4.75 gallon batches (mostly lagers) in 5 gallon cornies. If I ever went to larger batches, I'd invest in a couple 10 gallon cornies. Plus, you can bottle right off the fermenter (with a couple grams of honey in each bottle) if you have more than fits in a 5 gallon keg.

1) durability
2) easy to clean
3) harvest yeast
4) pressure transfer

Why are we getting rid of Glass? Get a Brew Hauler and:

1) IMHO glass is much more durable than plastic in terms of abuse. Scratch plastic and you'll second guess every brew.
2) Clean glass carboys by soaking them in oxyclean over night and taking a scrub brush to them in the morning
3) make a starter and pour starter into your harvest vessel for next time instead of harvesting from fermented beer
4) You can do this with glass:

hbe co2.jpg

Why are we getting rid of Glass? Get a Brew Hauler and:

1) IMHO glass is much more durable than plastic in terms of abuse. Scratch plastic and you'll second guess every brew.
2) Clean glass carboys by soaking them in oxyclean over night and taking a scrub brush to them in the morning
3) make a starter and pour starter into your harvest vessel for next time instead of harvesting from fermented beer
4) You can do this with glass:

Canman... I can't speak for the OP, but I almost never use glass any longer because glass is fragile and breaks a lot more easily than plastic or metal!

Canman... I can't speak for the OP, but I almost never use glass any longer because glass is fragile and breaks a lot more easily than plastic or metal!

I'm all about fermenting in SS... plastic not so much... I just wanted to make sure OP wasn't looking for the stated requirements without realizing practical solutions are available with glass.

:rockin:

Hmmm. I have one at home but not from them. I can measure mine but it might not be exactly the same. You're probably better off emailing them.

Glass is slippery when wet, can break and is heavy. Granted the brew hauler or a milk crate solves most of this. I just always found them a PITA to clean and deal with. I am also interested in pressure transfer. Leaning more and more to the Speidels the more I read. Seem like a good middle ground.

I'd top crop for sure out of the spiedels.

One more nice thing about fermenting in corneys, you can dump hot right into it, seal it up, and throw the keg in a pool or a large water bath (large cooler) and walk away. In the summer, I put mine in the pool and by the
Time I'm done cleaning up and putting away, its chilled with no effort and about as little chance of contamination as you can get. You can also attach a pressure release valve that will vent anything above 5 psi, letting it carb enough to be ready for pressurized transfer.

I ferment exclusively in 6.5 gallon plastic buckets with ratcheting screw on lids. I'm only guessing they are strong enough for transferring with pressure. They're light, strong, easy to clean, come with a handle and are about $20 each including shipping. I usually do 21 gallons and split it into 4 buckets, so each bucket has 1.25 gallon head space.

I ferment exclusively in 6.5 gallon plastic buckets with ratcheting screw on lids. I'm only guessing they are strong enough for transferring with pressure. They're light, strong, easy to clean, come with a handle and are about $20 each including shipping. I usually do 21 gallons and split it into 4 buckets, so each bucket has 1.25 gallon head space.

Interesting... got a source you can share? :)

Interesting... got a source you can share? :)

Vestil PAIL-SCR-65-W
I buy them on Amazon. They're ~$26 including shipping at the moment, but I've bought them as low as $20.50 including shipping.

I just noticed Home Depot has them, also for ~$26.

Back