Good way to file edge of keggle opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
Hi All,
A friend of mine cut open a keg for me so I can use it as a keggle. I am wondering what the best way to clean up the sharp edges are. Should I just get a file and do it by hand? I have a harbor freight oscilating multi tool. Should I just get a new attachment blade for that, and if so what type?

Thanks!

A Dremel or similar would be the best with an aluminum oxide stone to deburr the edges. Then a drum sander to smooth it out a bit more.

I used an angle grinder...you could do it by hand but it might take a while depending on how rough it is. The oscillating tool might work but you'll need something a little more robust than the sandpaper pads they usually come with. If they offer something more like a grinding stone that would work. Or, a grinding stone in a Dremel or Rotozip would work.

A duburring tool would work. There are blades just for SS. They are fairly cheap and useful for a lot of things.

An angle grinder with a flap disk also works. I think that's how I did mine.

The file isn't the best idea since you might embed a bunch of iron into the edge of the SS, and iron will rust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all,

I used an angle grinder, and it is pretty smooth now. Thanks!

Back