Good deal on cornys, how many to pick up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boneshb

Reaction score
I am hoping to get into kegging and found a great deal on some ball lock kegs. The guys I'm meeting tomorrow has 30 of them for sale for a good price, and I was wondering how many is a good starting number. I am looking for 5-10, (dont have the space to hold or time to fill 30+ like some of you crazies on here:D) but was looking for some input.
Also, I will need to buy a co2 cylinder and a reg, does anyone have an opinion on the 'Chudnow' ones from keg connections? They seem like a good price, just worried about the whole "You get what you pay for" thing.
Thanks for any input!

I am hoping to get into kegging and found a great deal on some ball lock kegs. The guys I'm meeting tomorrow has 30 of them for sale for a good price, and I was wondering how many is a good starting number. I am looking for 5-10, (dont have the space to hold or time to fill 30+ like some of you crazies on here:D) but was looking for some input.
Also, I will need to buy a co2 cylinder and a reg, does anyone have an opinion on the 'Chudnow' ones from keg connections? They seem like a good price, just worried about the whole "You get what you pay for" thing.
Thanks for any input!

Hmm.... you pick up 15 and than sell me five lol

Hmm.... you pick up 15 and than sell me five lol

I will check the condition of them out and pass his info along to you if want, he is a little north of Denver.

Twice as many as I can hold in the keezer is a good idea, I guess I'll use that as a starting point

I will check the condition of them out and pass his info along to you if want, he is a little north of Denver.

Twice as many as I can hold in the keezer is a good idea, I guess I'll use that as a starting point

awesome I currently have 4 but want 5 more..... 4 in keezer 1 with star san and 4 conditioning

I like to have twice as many as my keg fridge will hold.

I'm the same way!

For the OP. Consider your kegerator size, and double.

When looking at kegs do not consider the condition of the plastic seals. You'll want to replace all of those. Long ago I purchased a seriously bulk order of used Cornies from an old Pepsi distributor. I forget how many, but I think I had over 120 in my living room that I scored for the home brew club. I had some that needed work, but even the most pathetic looking hold beer and pressure after some TLC.

A little north of Denver? I'm in Colorado Springs. Any way to join in on the action?

Cheers,
Scott

I like the "double" idea. I can fit 5 in my kegerator. I owned 8, and that wasn't quite enough to allow for aging of some brews. This is especially true if you are into higher gravity beers or apfelweins. This weekend I scored 5 more for $75 total, :)ban:), which puts me at 13, which I think should be just about perfect.

Grab a bunch! I have a two tap kegerator and 14 cornies, I seldom have more than 2 empty.

I have 6 and with summer coming up I want another 4-6 more. My kegerator only holds two. Grab as much as you can have room to store.

I'm up to 13 kegs now (4 three gallon and 9 five gallon) and would still like to have a few more.

I just started 10 gallon batches and they tie up 2 kegs at a time.

:rockin:

There are many variables you need to look at. Do you plan to bulk age either beer or wine in kegs? I know I do and it makes moving around batches much easier than a glass carboy but does tie up a keg for 6-18 months depending on what I am aging. Also you could naturally condition kegs and therefore be using more than just fits in your kegarator not to mention building a pipline.

Either way I bet you will end up buying more. If the price is good enough and you can afford it buy a few more than you expect (granted they are of good quality). They are always a quick sell if you don't end up needing them.

I am currently running 4 and can have 2 on tap. Moving towards 6 on tap soon and want to have at min. 10 kegs.

Let me know what kind of price / condition this guys kegs are. I am really interested in picking some more up. North Denver is just a hp /skip and a jump away.

Ok, so I picked 9 up, have room for 4 in the keezer that will be underway shortly, giving me 5 to condition in. I wanted more, but drive a Mazda3 and it was messing already, taking up precious space. Anyway, they are in great shape. A few scuffs, but no dents, and all Cornelius brand. Inside there is still a little syrup, and most had pressure, so some cleaning and new rings and I'm in! Also, I found a guy that is selling co2 tanks, a full #10 for $80, which isn't too bad, and just got its cert last month. I'm checking those out Thursday and will keep you posted if anyone is interested in them.

Thats true, they really are pretty small and weigh next to nothing when empty. I'm sure I'll eventually get more, but feel this is a good starting number

I was keeping my spares in the attic. Trouble is, I don't have any "spares" now. They either have beer in them, or are about to have beer in them.

Back