good cheap starter kit????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterX

Reaction score
anyone know a good place to buy a starter kit that will be good for my first time and still be good once i get smarter and all im definately not rich and want to spend as little as possible for a decent setup i can grow with

There are a lot of good places. Shop around at places like homebrewery.com, morebeer.com, and nothernbrewer.com.

From what I can tell, all of the vendors who support this site seem to be good, too. I suppose this crowd would let you know in a hurry if they weren't.

Even if you're on a budget, though, make sure you get a good book and an autosiphon. I recommend The Complete Joy of Homebrewing or How to Brew. They will make your intro to brewing way easier and much more enjoyable. The autosiphon will also make it easier and more enjoyable, but for an entirely different reason.

Midwest had a Groupon for purchasing a starter setup and included a $25 certificate for additional brewing kits. I think the price was in the $60 range so it is about a 50% off deal.

Here is the current link for the groupon for Midwest.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/midwest-hydroponic-minneapolis-2

You will need something to boil in...I suggest you pick up a cheap turkey fryer. I was at walmart last night and saw they had one for $34 that came with a 30 quart pot which would be perfect to brew in.

I'm a Craiglist junkie...it takes patience and timing to find good deals but they are definately out there if you are patient

I'm a Craiglist junkie...it takes patience and timing to find good deals but they are definately out there if you are patient

This. Several guys have sold their entire kits and others have sold carboys, kettles, etc. Just keep your eye out. There's an Android app called CLApp that notifies you of keywords in listings as they are posted on CL. Handy.

I suggest a coopers kit because it comes with named brand yeast (actual coopers yeast). I have had others with 'mystery yeast' that is just a silver pack with nothing on it. Yeast strain makes all the difference to the finished beer. They are very inexpensive. As you specifically ask for inexpensive, I suggest 500g of dextrose and 500g of dried malt extract to go with the kit. It will make it about £15 for 40 pints (568ml).

On a final note, do a few google searches for green beer and young beer to make sure you don't drink it too early and get discouraged from brewing again.

P.S. I recommend the Coopers English Bitter or the Thomas Coopers IPA. ;)

Being a noob myself, I would support the vendors that sponsor this website. This site may not be running if it was not for them...oh and our membership dues! Mine is a brewers best kit I got from my LHBS. I did not find out about this site until after my purchase. If I had to do it over I would go with Austin homebrew, northern, or Midwest.

I say this every time some one talks about starting for cheap and I'll say it again.

Two places to say the most money on your first batch are bottles and the fermenting bucket.

I fish used bottles out of recycling. I soak them in sanitizer, clean them, and make sure they are fit for service. I have used over 200 bottles I got this way and have not had a single problem. 50 bottles can be 20-25 dollars.

I have two fermenters that were once pickle buckets (don't worry about the pickle smell) from a Jason's Deli. I simply go up and ask for them. They are 6.5 gallons (perfect size) and are free. Cut a hole in the top and put an airlock on. It's far too easy. You can also make bottling buckets this way buy drilling a hole in the bottom and getting the valve else where. Not buying fermenters at a home brew shop will save you 20 dollars or so a bucket.

Send me a message if you have any questions and good luck!!!!!

Schumed said:

+2 to this, I bought ALL of my equipment except my pot and some odds and ends from CL and the classifieds here but you gotta be fast here it goes really fast!

Supporting your LHBS is a good thing too. Helping local businesses helps your community.

I agree completely with this,.You can get an extract kit when you want it,chat with the owner,they usually have several kinds of yeast.Buy an aluminum 20 Q
pot at walmart for cheap.Cook on the stove and your off to the races.Thats how I started.Your beer will be good,but after you get the bug and learn more
you will make great beer.

Back