Good Beers from the Czech Republic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruelkix

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a friend who is traveling to the Czech Republic and is willing to bring me back some beer. What kind should I ask for? I obviously want something I can't get in the states that is big and bold. No light lagers!!!

Thanks!!:mug:

Hi all,

I have a friend who is traveling to the Czech Republic and is willing to bring me back some beer. What kind should I ask for? I obviously want something I can't get in the states that is big and bold. No light lagers!!!

Thanks!!:mug:

Almost everything there is a lager around 12 degrees plato, give or take.

Is he going to Prague? Pivovarsky Klub probably has the best bottle selection.

Almost everything there is a lager around 12 degrees plato, give or take.

Is he going to Prague? Pivovarsky Klub probably has the best bottle selection.

Yeah I kinda figured it would be a lot of lagers, but I assumed some of the local breweries would have something a bit different.

And yes, she is going to Prague.

We had a number of beers in Prague. They were all great. I'd leave the selection up to her.

We had a number of beers in Prague. They were all great. I'd leave the selection up to her.

She's not much of a craft beer drinker so I was hoping to get a few suggestions. She's a BMC drinker, who is just starting to try new things.

There was a small brewery/pub called Pivovarsky Dum near my hotel that I stopped in a few times. They had some tasty beers, but not sure if any of it is bottled - worth checking out, though.

Pivovarsky Dum is cool but no bottles. Same folks who own Pivovarsky Klub. If she likes beer she should go and get the sampler. They do cherry and nettle and coffee and other flavored beers. The regular light and dark lager are very good. They have an almond mead that they serve pours of (not made by them) that is awesome but I never made it back to ask if you can buy a bottle to go.

Pivovarsky Klub is a bit of a hike from the city center, but if the weather is nice it isn't a bad walk. We did it in about an hour I think (each way). It is non-smoking which is not common and which I like. Food is outstanding (Bourdain went there on no-reservations).

You can get bottles to go there, I doubt there is a better selection (probably 500-800 total, 100ish Czech). I like Bernard products. I see them sometimes in the US but not the same (stale).

I would have her get you a range of Czech light and dark lagers. They are all pretty characterful, I think. Tell her if anything looks really interesting grab it. Tmave is "dark" and the gravity in plato is usually part of the name of the beer. They also have mead (medovina) in bottles to go if that is your thing. It's okay, and a novelty, but not great. Make sure she only gets you Czech beer, most of the imported beer is the same as we get in the US and not any cheaper.

U Medvidiku has some bottles to go including some stuff that is very idiosyncratic for CR (strong, flavored etc). That is right in the city center.

Pivovarsky Dum is cool but no bottles. Same folks who own Pivovarsky Klub. If she likes beer she should go and get the sampler. They do cherry and nettle and coffee and other flavored beers. The regular light and dark lager are very good. They have an almond mead that they serve pours of (not made by them) that is awesome but I never made it back to ask if you can buy a bottle to go.

Pivovarsky Klub is a bit of a hike from the city center, but if the weather is nice it isn't a bad walk. We did it in about an hour I think (each way). It is non-smoking which is not common and which I like. Food is outstanding (Bourdain went there on no-reservations).

You can get bottles to go there, I doubt there is a better selection (probably 500-800 total, 100ish Czech). I like Bernard products. I see them sometimes in the US but not the same (stale).

I would have her get you a range of Czech light and dark lagers. They are all pretty characterful, I think. Tell her if anything looks really interesting grab it. Tmave is "dark" and the gravity in plato is usually part of the name of the beer. They also have mead (medovina) in bottles to go if that is your thing. It's okay, and a novelty, but not great. Make sure she only gets you Czech beer, most of the imported beer is the same as we get in the US and not any cheaper.

U Medvidiku has some bottles to go including some stuff that is very idiosyncratic for CR (strong, flavored etc). That is right in the city center.

Great info. Thanks!

Must say, I was a big fan of Budvar fresh in Prague. So much better than Czechvar (what they call Budvar for export to the US). It seems like the trek from the CR to the US, then through the distribution chain (and warehouses) to the fluorescent-lighted store shelves, in green bottles no less, really kills the beer.

Edit: Sorry, didn't look at the date. Your friend's probably back by now. That said, I stand by my statement :mug:

Latest posts

Back