Good beer in New Jersey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
California boys doing some work next weekend in New Jersey. Where’s the good beer at?

Yeah, NJ is a surprisingly diverse state for its size, some idea as to locality could be helpful wrt recommendations. There are a few places I haunt around 20 miles west of Newark but that's not going to be helpful for someone down in Cherry Hill...

Cheers!

Agreed. I grew up in south jersey (and live there now). Did several years in North Jersey too. Here is a list of places I’ve been near me that I recommend in South jersey-
-Slack Tide Brewing; Cape May
-Cape May Brewery; Cape May
-Glasstown; Millville
-Bonesaw Brewery; Glassboro (the place is absolutely beautiful)
-Eight and Sand; Woodbury
-Double Nickel; Pennsauken
-Flying Fish; Somerdale
-Spell Bound; Mount Holly

If you’re in the Philadelphia area, I’d highly recommend checking out Monk’s Cafe (https://www.monkscafe.com). Not a brewery, but a beer mecca. Likewise, Victory Brewing is in Philly.

If you’re in the South Jersey parts near Delaware, and depending on if you have some time set aside- taking a trip down to Dogfish head feels like it could be worthwhile for homebrewers.

We’re visiting Newark. I admit I haven’t pulled this up on a map. I see googling nearby breweries after work or diverting to this thread. Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’ll be sure to follow up!

We’re visiting Newark. I admit I haven’t pulled this up on a map. I see googling nearby breweries after work or diverting to this thread. Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’ll be sure to follow up!

You are in luck! There's a Budweiser brewery about a mile north of Newark airport.:D

You are in luck! There's a Budweiser brewery about a mile north of Newark airport.:D

Good God. Is that place still open?
If I recall correctly there's an old abandoned GM plant nearby and I was always getting them confused. Besides, the question was about "good" beer.
I haven't been that way for a few years and was always more interested in the nearby Costco. The ethnic demographic is different and we could always count on getting food there we couldn't find elsewhere further south ... and besides, the Costco off Route 1 has a good beer, wine, and liquor selection.

Jersey has a few breweries but you'll find a lot of them on the Shore south of Newark near Asbury Park, Lakewood, and Toms River near where I live ....
I had a birthday dinner in Asbury Park at an unnamed German-style place where the food was average, overpriced, and the service sucked. Won't recommend it to anyone or be going back anytime soon.
Jersey doesn't have as many older, established breweries as Vermont or Colorado due to the PITA, noxious business regulations and building codes. We could do better. Distributors suck, too. I can get Great Lakes from Ohio, Founders from Michigan, Yards from Philly, and seasonal German imports to some degree but can't find High Point Brewing (Ramstein) out of north Jersey.
Go figure.

Last edited:
Kane is great!

About 45 minutes to hour from EWR.

I second the motion. Barrel-aged Pils, blonde ale, IPA, and pale ale. Belgian style if that's what you like.
Take Rte. 35S and pass the Monmouth Mall. Merge right onto Sunset Ave just past the Wegman's. Left on Bloomsbury and Kanes is on your right.
https://www.kanebrewing.com/

I second the motion. Barrel-aged Pils, blonde ale, IPA, and pale ale. Belgian style if that's what you like.
Take Rte. 35S and pass the Monmouth Mall. Merge right onto Sunset Ave just past the Wegman's. Left on Bloomsbury and Kanes is on your right.
https://www.kanebrewing.com/

I'll be there this weekend! Love their IPA's especially. Their Head High might be my favorite 'easily gettable' --for me-- IPA.

Warning for all my friends who are Outta State drivers ...
If you're not familiar with the traffic in NJ you need to know it's sometimes difficult to make a left turn at an intersection. Sometimes it isn't possible and you'll be merging to a right lane offramp to do that left turn. Some of us call it a "jughandle".
Traffic usually isn't bad on the Shore during fall or winter but driving most anywhere in NJ can be a relative PITA if you're not careful.
Back in the day I'd travel up from Fort Belvoir area where I used to live to Monmouth and it was always a rude surprise, so be warned!

Back