good 20-30 gallon fermenters for bulk aging sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Note : I do not have the cash flow for a barrel or i would for sure go that route.

Has anyone had good luck finding a good fermenter in the 20-30 gallon size? i have 2 dedicated carboys for sours... but it's turning out to be not enough room (of course)

so i'm thinking here, i'd rather make 20-30 gallons once a year of a lambic (so i can blend and make a geuze, fruit some and make some fruited lambics, etc) and start a large pipeline going, especially for blending it would be nice.

However... i know plastic can be very permeable to oxygen, which for the first year or so, i've heard is good... but anymore might be a bad idea... but i also dont want to bulk ferment in this for a year and then have to buy 4-6 new carboys every year (i wouldn't mind, but then i'd be going toward the price of a barrel at that point, plus storage shelving for this, etc.). Possibly could do fermentation in the big plastic barrel or two, then toss them into 15.5g kegs, but then, that is still approaching the cost of a barrel (if i can find one)

TLDR :

Planning on using something like this for primary for 1 year
file.php

Then moving everything to a secondary (this is what i'm needing assistance on, what is best to use? that is also somewhat cheap... or am i better off buying carboys?)

then repitching into the same barrels above and repeat every year (possibly dump in new sacc yeast as well every year), then on year 4, buy all new pitches of lambic blend and start over

Vittles vault 80 holds 22 gal. A speidel 120L holds a bbl, but it is pricey. I use those plastic tubs you have pictured, they actually hold closer to 17 gal if you are just doing bulk secondary.

Latest posts

Back