Good 1st recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardenofstone

Reaction score
So I have 4 batches of beer and a batch of hard cider under my belt and have decided to try my own recipe.... It will be a "Red Ale" terrible, decent, needs work, have suggestions? I want feedback. But preferably with reason why you think a certain thing that way this can be a learning experience.

"Commando" 5 gallon batch size

Amber Malt (Crisp) (6.5oz)
Caramel 80L (Briess) (130z)
Caramel 40L (Briess) (1lb 3.5oz)
Brown Sugar (1lb)
Briess Amber Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract (1lb 12.60z)
Munton & Fison (UK) Amber DME Dry Extract (1lb 6oz)
A Cinnamon Stick
Cascade and Perle Hops (1oz of each)

Yeast: Safale US-05

I put all of this in Beersmith and it says the beer will have
5.8%abv
49.5 IBUs

let me know what yall think!

Cheers,
AFB

It's hard to read that, but is there only 3 pounds of extract?

I think it's not enough extract, too much crystal malt, the amber malt is out of place, and I'd leave out the brown sugar. I don't know about cinnamon, as I've never used it.

I'd do a little work on simplifying it, and taking out most of the crystal malt, all of the amber malt and increasing the extract.

would this be better you think?

2lbs 3.7oz amber dry extract
2lbs 14.3oz amber liquid extract
1lbs 5.1oz crystal malt 80
1lb 15.7oz crystal malt 40
perle and cascade hops

would this be better you think?

2lbs 3.7oz amber dry extract
2lbs 14.3oz amber liquid extract
1lbs 5.1oz crystal malt 80
1lb 15.7oz crystal malt 40
perle and cascade hops

Since amber extract has crystal malt in it, you're basically doubling (quadripling?) the crystal malt and even if you use light extract, it's still too much crystal- 3 POUNDS of crystal malt is an extraordinarily extreme amount.

The extract (I'd go with light or pale) needs to be increased, and the crystal cut down dramatically.

Back