Gonna buy a Coopers. Opinions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkuchan

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a Coopers fermenter soon (I really like them), and I'm trying to decide between the basic and bundle pack.

The basic kit is 129.99, comes with all the equipment, and a can of Lager hme. The bundle os 199.99 and comes with 3 extra refills in addition to the Lager that's included (dark ale, cerveza, and wheat). That is a good deal considering their prices individually, but I'm not all that experienced with the Coopers cans. Are they worth it? Do they taste good. Will it be worth my time making those beers, or should I just get the basic one and go buy ingredient kits from NB or Midwest (both within 20 minutes)?

Which kit would you buy?

Well you'll make beer but I bet you will quickly outgrow the prehopped kits - I did within a couple of brews on a cooper kit. The fermenter is good. I'd go with the basic and depending on your enthusiasm expect to move on to building your own recipes.

Steve da sleeve

I did a Coopers IPA for my first kit. It was alright. I went all-grain for my second batch, mostly because I think brewing process is every bit, if not more, fun than the consumption.

I did a Coopers IPA for my first kit. It was alright. I went all-grain for my second batch, mostly because I think brewing process is every bit, if not more, fun than the consumption.

Amen to that.
The Coopers stuff is a good way to get the brewing bug. It'll also get you introduced to the fermentation processes. You'll probably top out with it and you may find that the art is in the process. Soon enough you'll find yourself with a basement full of brewing gear and sacks of grain.

:mug:

I mainly brew kits from NB or Midwest. My only experience with the hme cans were with the ones that came with my first fermenter. I hear mixed things about them, which is why I'm wondering if 4 cans of hme will be put to good use, and if the time spent brewing those instead of the brew shop kits would be worth it.

I know you said you liked the Coopers fermentors, but check out NBs online special. Might be worthwhile if you also need a kettle.

Purchase Dead Ringer and a kettle, get a free brew starter kit.

I know you said you liked the Coopers fermentors, but check out NBs online special. Might be worthwhile if you also need a kettle.

Purchase Dead Ringer and a kettle, get a free brew starter kit.

That's mighty tempting. I will take a look. I just don't want a heavy glass fermenter for these clumsy hands to break.

Price out those same things from NB,midwest,etc... and compare. I might be missing something but seems like about $60-70 worth of stuff for $130.

Actually, after pricing all that through midwest with two 20 min. boil kits its about the same. I dunno, If you've brewed before you probly know a little about what your wanting. Otherwise keep reading around here to figure out what you want exactly. Coopers seems alright equipment wise, or just piece something together yourself.

I've used coopers kits- and don't recommend them if you want something tasty and drinkable.

A good kit is one with fresh grain, some extract, and some hops, and better quality yeast than the cooper's yeast (which tastes "woody" in finished beer).

In many cases, you do get what you pay for.

I did three extract kits, then went all grain. I bought some paint strainer bags at Home Depot and did a one gallon batch to get the idea of what was going on. Then I quickly moved up to five gallon batches with a cooler and a cheap aluminum 10 gallon pot. Those fermenters look nice but a bucket is way cheaper. I just made a batch of $0.35 beers.

I Started with the Cooper's Micro Brew kit with the OS Lager beer kit. Keep in mind the Cooper's can kits are designed for 23L, or 6.072 USG. They make decent beer if you mind your temps. I think the Cooper's yeast give nondescript fruity esters. But the basic starter kit from Midwest is $80 bucks now & can be added onto depending on what you do or don't have; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html I also have some recipes you can check out using Cooper's cans under my avatar...:mug:

I had seen on the either the Coopers or Muntons site, the body and flavor of their kits can be boosted by brewing as 19 liters.

Later on, for step up #2, adding steeping grains for adjusting the flavor and color.

That's one way to slightly boost the Cooper's kits. 19L equals 5.016 USG. I started using 3lbs of plain light DME & a couple ounces of hops with the Cooper's cans to make other beers outta them. My Recipes explain it further.

Yep.... for $199 you can buy all the equipment you need to brew good Extract, BIAB or All Grain Beer..... and the choices are endless!

I can't comment on the fermenter.

But, I would advise against getting 4 beers of pre-hopped extracts. Read up on brewing, get fresh ingredients, pitch the proper amounts of a top of the line yeast, control your fermentation temperatures, and your beers will be much better than you can do with the pre-hopped extract.

If you research, I think you could do better on price also.

Thanks for the recipes, unionrdr! I think I may get the basic pack and use the lager can to make a variation of that Shandy, after that I'll stick to the better kits from NB or midwest.

It's too bad Midwest stopped carrying all their partial mash kits. The cascade pale ale was a good one. But Morebeer's ESB E/SG kit is really good.

I was given the base Cooper's kit for Christmas several years back. The fermenting bucket is good... but you can only use "priming tablets" to use it as designed. I bought a separate bucket for fermenting and use the one from the kit as my bottling bucket.

Based on the lager kit, I might have quit brewing if I had done a couple of the canned ones in a row. Just did not like it much. I'm still only doing extract... but they're kits mostly from NB.

If you're set on the Cooper's kit, I'd only get the basic one.

Just pull the pin valve off the Cooper's "little bottler" & connect 3/8" tubing to it to rack to a bottling bucket. I do that with the Cooper's Micro Brew fermenter all the time. You can use a 3lb bag of plain light DME with those cans. Adding about 2lbs of it to a partial boil for any hop additions you want & the remaining DME & Cooper's can at flame out works very well. You just have to learn what to do with Cooper's cans & your imagination. Real easy to do.

Back